Black Stork Nest in Karula 2022

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Jo UK
Site Admin

Re: Black Stork Nest in Karula 2022

Post by Jo UK »

Anne7 wrote: September 8th, 2022, 5:01 pm Yes, Swenja, that was a fun project!

Jo and I wrote the content, and our dear member Orinpix (Kaori) made many gorgeous illustrations. We worked on it (and had fun) all winter. It was written for a fundraising (to fund transmitters), in 2018 if I'm not mistaken.

I still have the files :nod:
But the digital book is not really available.... unless we organise something new, of course! :D

Biker :wave:
Something new, Anne?
What do you have in mind?

And yes, it was fun, and hard work!
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

Biker wrote: September 8th, 2022, 6:07 pm Good idea. Again fundraising for Kotkaklubi!
:hi: Fund Raising in Support of Estonian Eagle Club - Kotkaklubi:
https://looduskalender.ee/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1085
Polly

Post by Polly »

145,000 followers is not as important as the personality of an animal that fights for its existence every day.
It takes a follower a second to lie about an imaginary interest. Click click - done. From the couch. It doesn't cost him anything!!! No hassle, no money.
For many viewers, a video is a snapshot. It doesn't really mean interest or respect or concern.
I wouldn't put any weight on something like that.
You would be amazed how the clicks died if they cost anything.

There is Karl and there is Karl II.
It's not okay to blur two different personalities to entertain 145,000 Follower.

viewtopic.php?p=877723#p877723

I have a problem with that too.
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Treia

Post by Treia »

I hope Karl II is fine despite the news!
Lusciniole

Post by Lusciniole »

:wave: If one day you decide to print this book on Karl again, I would be interested.
Your hard work is fantastic :thumbs: Thank you all!
I also hope for Karl II that he will quickly get out of this dangerous place
Trine

Post by Trine »

Treia wrote: September 8th, 2022, 8:29 pm I hope Karl II is fine despite the news!
I hope so too.
I do not want to buy the whole article (the lousy grammar of what I see is off-putting enough, and the caption of the accompanying photo is weird), but from the freely available section it looks that the journalists have no more information than we, which means that the headline is just for clickbait. I deeply dislike this kind of "news".

On a slightly funnier note, in a military forum here in Estonia there was someone who, similarly, did not read the whole article. So they thought that Karl was an Estonian volunteer who fought in Ukraine, and shared the news of his probable death.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Good evening, everyone! :wave:
Jo UK wrote: September 8th, 2022, 7:31 pm Something new, Anne?
What do you have in mind?

And yes, it was fun, and hard work!
I don't have any concrete ideas (yet!), Jo. :D

Swenja overwhelmed me a bit with the beautiful memories of the book.
I haven't thought about it in a long time.

Maybe we should do something creative again?
Ideas always come up during the process.
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Aren't these pure assumptions, in this article?
Are there any factual indications? :puzzled:

I hope so much that our wonderful Karl II is fine. :unsure:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

As Trine said - it is clickbait. We don't KNOW.
ame

Post by ame »

20:56 a pygmy owl called.
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Jo UK wrote: September 8th, 2022, 8:57 pm As Trine said - it is clickbait. We don't KNOW.
I tried to copy and translate this article(I have the access to the whole of it) but then gave up. There is even no name of the author of article.
Let's just hope!
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Trine

Post by Trine »

juta wrote: September 8th, 2022, 9:07 pm ... There is even no name of the author of article. ...
And it's supposed to be the "science" part of the honorable newspaper. They write that the migratory bird is/was "an adventurer" who went "independently [?? - not sure how to translate because the word choice makes no sense] on an adventure"... pfff :rolleyes:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Trine wrote: September 8th, 2022, 9:16 pm And it's supposed to be the "science" part of the honorable newspaper. They write that the migratory bird is/was "an adventurer" who went "independently [?? - not sure how to translate because the word choice makes no sense] on an adventure"... pfff :rolleyes:
This does indeed sound like pure nonsense, Trine. :hi:
Thank you for pointing this out for us. :thumbs:

One has to be so cautious and critical about what is written in the "news"papers... :rolleyes:

Only the data sent by the transmitter (and/or - heaven forbid! - a found body) can say something meaningful about how Karl II is doing.
No data does not mean that Karl II is dead.
The data transmission is most likely being jammed by the military, in my opinion.
— Irene Pepperberg
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Trine wrote: September 8th, 2022, 9:16 pm And it's supposed to be the "science" part of the honorable newspaper. They write that the migratory bird is/was "an adventurer" who went "independently [?? - not sure how to translate because the word choice makes no sense] on an adventure"... pfff :rolleyes:
Yes, I agree with you!
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Juta and Trine . thank you for heping us to understand the nonsense of a news report!
Trine

Post by Trine »

Anne7 wrote: September 8th, 2022, 9:22 pm No data does not mean that Karl II is dead.
The data transmission is most likely being jammed by the military, in my opinion.
Anne :hi:
As little as I can see, they also point out other explanations than death (no mobile network in the area, empty battery). Yet they chose the title they chose. :slap:
Anything is possible, but far too early for grim thoughts, I agree 8-)
Trine

Post by Trine »

Jo UK wrote: September 8th, 2022, 9:38 pm Juta and Trine . thank you for heping us to understand the nonsense of a news report!
I'd also like to thank Karukas who brought the report into our attention. I think it is useful and educating to discuss such things (i.e. the quality, effect, etc. of information).
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Yes, Trine, you are right. :nod:

Thank you, Karukas!
— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

From the article, it says at the bottom:
"The traveler without documents from Southeast Estonia is now in the war zone of Ukraine, where the device he brought with him can confuse the air defenses of both sides/"Dokumentideta rändur Kagu-Eestist on nüüdseks Ukraina sõjatsoonis, kus ta kaasa võetud seade võib mõlema poole õhutõrje segadusse ajada"

What are they actually thinking? Karl II is shown on the radar devices as an enemy air force unit? :shock:

I agree with all. Thanks for the important information! No facts, no evidence.
Freedom!
Trine

Post by Trine »

I have no idea what the military sees and thinks of such "travelers".
A comment by an expert would be useful.

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”