Goshawk nest in Riga 2023

Goshawk nests in Latvia
Polly

Re: Goshawk nest in Riga 2023

Post by Polly »

The great tits are very busy today. Do they collect already decomposed nest material? Something seems to be very profitable for them. :laugh:

"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

13:52 H21 is online and can be heard briefly but closely. :innocent:
Judging by their sound, H44 is somewhere too.

Yes, both are at home.
14:03 H21 increases the urgency of their reputation and at the end H44 says "Yes" again. :mrgreen:

'06 cracking

Even if I'm not very happy with the new camera setup, this day is a great relief. After days of uncertainty, at least we know the couple is intact.
From tomorrow it will probably be uncomfortable again here (on the weekends the young people usually hang around somewhere else) ... let's see if the couple will withdraw again or if the H's will decide to adapt to the group.
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

There was no more visible or audible activity.

It remains exciting and interesting.
The couple's intervals/relapses are a little irritating. From zero to a hundred and suddenly back to zero... the cycle towards active breeding season seems very sophisticated. :faint:
Plus external influences from human activity, interference from competitors or weather-related influences...

Sleep well!
:innocent:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

February 13

Good morning everyone! :hi:

09:53 The crows drive the Goshawk into the terrain - a short call can be heard.

And while the big residents stay away from their nest, it is plundered by the little ones. :2thumbsup:

Hawfinch, great tit

Hawfinch, two

Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

Good morning Polly and all. :hi:

Morning Sounds

8:45:25-37
8:46:19, 44-47
8:47:00, 10, 27-31, 48-51
8:57-59
Polly

Post by Polly »

Emiliano! :hi:

There were more calls at 13:24/25 - from our wannabe - Goshawk. The jay jumps through all the branches and chirps its song in the guise of the goshawk.

Further:
14:23 Probably H21. We also see them flying upwards from behind the two 'top' branches.

14:35 H21 sounds distant in the grove and as their calls begin, a nearby loud cracking sound is heard in the tree.

14:51 - 54 The couple babbles.

So both are still there... close to the tree.
Everything will be fine. :innocent:

Ps: Yes, the clique was back just in time for the beginning of the week, but today it was okay. Not overflowing. Maybe something has been done...

Sleep well!
:offtobed:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

February 14

Hello together! :hi:

Today I can only report that I have nothing to report ... not a single beep.
No squadron of crows either, which the Goshawk usually gives away.

Maybe someone heard something I missed. I was on the job long hours but had assigned my Goshawk sitter.

Should we be worried?
Hope not.
These H's are driving me insane. They're probably sitting still somewhere, laughing at me.
:mrgreen:

See you tomorrow with hopefully better prospects.
Sleep well!
:offtobed:
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

Good night Polly and all :hi:

I have not listened to anything either , except the group , at least three times . And also the pitiful sound has been heard again. Some relationship ?

To rest.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Some relationship ?
I hope not Emiliano.
Two days ago I was sure I had heard both. and was a little calmer.

I don't know which animal makes this sound and why. But it sounds plaintive, whimpering. If I had to describe it...Sounds like a bigger bird though, yes.
Unfortunately I missed it yesterday.

H21 seemed nervous the last time she visited the nest. But she was also chased by crows. She looked around skeptically and hurriedly disappeared (probably onto the upper branch).

It's mid-February and we know the couple is dawdling. We also had a very tough start to the season at the beginning of March last year. Until it went very quickly.
However, H21 and H44 have completely shut down their activities for a few days! Hardly heard H44, actually no longer clear and without a doubt for days and finally yesterday nothing was heard at all. Although the couple had already prepared well for the season.

I don't know what it could mean.
Have they changed breeding grounds? Is everything okay with H44? (No clear sign of him since the beginning of those sounds)
In the next few days there should be movement again in the area. :rolleyes:
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

February 15th

Good Morning Polly and everyone. :wave:

7:46:58 a goshawk is playing in the background.

They will be fine but withdrawn. His area of the tree is being visited every day, two or three times and staying there with continuous noise. In other cities with parks, people pass by but do not stay. We also saw an interference in Tartu that, although it was hard and dangerous, did not last more than the working time, but here they have been for many days and it seems that it is getting worse. The logical thing would be for them to change places.
Polly

Post by Polly »

10:41 more calls from at least one Goshawk
(Can't hear if it's two voices. It's noisy here today. :laugh: )

Emiliano :hi:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

12:56 To see and hear - hawk flutters and calls in the grove. Actually sounds like H44 to me.

13:01 Jay croaks
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

13:59 Crackling, calls quite close by

14:06 - 08 Very urgent calls in distance
'08 two Goshawk angry

At the same time, the gang next to the nest tree continues to roar and hit something metallic. :banghead:

I feel sorry for the couple. It won't end!.
They habe lost a good familiar nesting place. :unsure:

'15 roar/screech

'20 Still smashing on objects
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Nothing else.

I'll let the stream run a little longer (currently at 5:09 p.m.) and will report later if necessary.

It is one thing that something like this is tolerated.
However, I could understand if the couple withdraws from the nest tree in this phase.
but here they have been for many days and it seems that it is getting worse. The logical thing would be for them to change places.
It currently looks like it.
With the appearance of the young people, we have observed a massive drop in the activity of the couple. To regret....
I don't know what has changed in local circumstances - it's new. That hasn't happened in the last 2 years. Not only do they riot right next to the nest tree, they also cavort in the forest area.
And it seems to make even the city - Goshawk unsafe.
For now:
I may also retire. At least limit it to sightings or special features. There are enough small bird cameras and their loving observers everywhere.

Let's keep hoping.

edit:
Not sure if the camera is still being serviced or adjusted?
18:22 rattling and rustling.
Careful again. Occasional rustling footsteps. Probably just one person.
'58 is the rustling still part of it?

:wave:
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

February 16th

Good morning Polly and everyone. :wave:

8:44, 45 First clear calls of the day, before there was another more doubtful one at 7:12:51.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Good evening Emiliano, thank you for still listening. :innocent:

07:12 That call was very far away and 08:44/45 very angry again, wasn't it?
I have listened to these calls. And the second one, I'm not sure if it's an H. Never H21, possible H44. I think another Goshawk.

Unfortunately frustrating but not unexpected - nothing else today.
But I might have missed something.

Tomorrow I have a very long job and on Saturday I will start my holiday in Denmark and be on the motorway. So little opportunity to follow the stream meticulously.
I hope with all my heart that we can see a turnaround in the next few days. Everything in me still refuses to completely give up the season with this pair. Even if it's admittedly naive and the signs don't show anything good.

At least the weekend awaits us without roaring and knocking.
Until Sunday!
:wave:
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

Hello Polly. :hi:

There is still a month or more left before they can start laying and nothing should be ruled out, but it doesn't look good. Quite often pairs can have several nests and they arrange one or several. In Riga they are adapted to people but not to direct nuisance right in their nest.

Maybe if the conditions are not met they will put the camera on another couple.

In the afternoon since 15:30 I have not heard anything either.

Good night.

Have a nice vacation.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Well, the couple has already shown themselves very engaged this season. There were mating sounds (which does not mean completed matings), laying sticks, being absolutely present throughout the day with calls, sightings...often sightings without calls.
They were there, hot and ready.
Then complete retreat.

The question for me is whether it's a normal cycle (going up...going down until the definitive start of the active season) or are we seeing a couple getting scared off here.
I bravely hoped that our H's wouldn't let themselves be incapacitated and would keep this nesting site if they only realized that what was going on under the tree didn't really pose any danger to them. Goshawk are now attached to the city but they remain shy animals!!!!

I have also read that they prefer trees >60 years to build their nests.
And probably not even any kind of tree. Beech trees are very popular...

But there you go - where do our animals still find that today?
It's not so easy to find another abandoned nest in the middle of the heat or to build one quickly. It will lead to fierce turf wars.

Not all Goshawk conditions are good, despite the size of the room.
That being said, while Goshawk now enjoys a certain fascination, the animosity towards him will continue to be actively pursued.

I don't want to pan to another camera!
I want our animals to be respected and valued and protected!!!!
I'm terribly disappointed that this is watching the couple being cornered and chased away!
I informed LDF and nothing was done.

Exactly this doing nothing is the reason why many animals will soon be the last of their kind.
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

double post
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

February 17th

Good evening Polly and everyone. :hi:

There have been some calls at 11:49:47 and 11:53 (it's near the nest).
The rest of the day I haven't heard any more.

The couple continues to explore the territory, very possibly they have been able to start building another nest in some area, they were very willing and they have cut their pace here in their third season. I have seen several nests start and in the first year they are small laying the fair sticks, it doesn't take long. Ornithologists may already be following the couple's adventures and let it happen if they are building in a different place.
Protection laws exist in most countries but control or surveillance is more difficult. Young people are here more and more times a day and from what we see in almost all countries they are afraid of them.

That of the nests in closed and very large forests would be longer and where the forest remains in very good condition. They make them where they can within the area where they are, in the most shady, valleys, thicker circles of trees. But they are expanding and not only in the cities (at least in large areas of Spain) and in other places with more open land and meadows.
The main thing is the hunting territory and then they look for the nest site if there is a partner.

To compare some of the activity with Margo 2016-2017.

In December first appearances in nest and contribution of sticks.
January, appearances of the two and placement of twigs.
February, it was continued and already very repeated, especially the male, the first mating sounds began which in the opinion of Aigars Kalvans are imitations.

The H's started a little later than Margo and her male but they were already placing sticks and appearing in the nest.
Egg laying began on March 24, more or less like the H's in 2022.

Greetings

Have a good trip.

Return to “Goshawks”