Goshawk nest in Riga 2023

Goshawk nests in Latvia
Polly

Re: Goshawk nest in Riga 2023

Post by Polly »

February 5th

A good day... H44 flutters into the nest with a twig! :innocent:
The little guy seems stately well fed.
H44 looks like it's fresh from the craft room... a bit tattered and sticky. :whistling:

"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

February 6th

H44 gets a ride from H21 in that direction and gets on the train towards Spring.
Branches are brought and the bond is shown with benevolent sounds.

H44 today in the most beautiful petticoat...

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

February 8th

Despite the onset of winter, the couple is hot-tempered... H44 brings a branch and flirting culminates in mating. :nod:

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

February 9th

Tawny again... :laugh:

Brings prey to the nest and plays with the dead food. I was wondering if it was a young owl? So far I have only seen this type of play in young animals.

She didn't give any calls - not before and not during the night.
There was nothing left for the crows who cleaned the crime scene.
Tawny picked up the carcass that same night.

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

February 10th

Trouble is coming through the district today...

A strange female is staying here and of course she is not welcome.

The threatening calls are sharp, even physical approaches are not shied away from.
(To see females flying very close to each other at times)

H21 defends without compromise.

(The focus is here...)
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

February 14th

Valentine's Day was exciting...
Two females for H44.

H21 hatched into the nest first.

Nothing unusual happened when U93 suddenly fluttered into the nest.
With tempting sounds and her underskirt also shows her intentions.
Her voice - it sounds like H21.

U93 leaves the nest and a while later a close mating can be heard (H44 flies upwards). But it's not clear who was sitting there.
It will only become clear later.

After mating, H44 leaves the place with a 'gjak' and, flying in a low arc, comes to the nest with a twig.

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

February 15th

H21 continues to bring in branches.

Things have become quieter around the couple.
Mating occurs on February 16th, a single call on February 17th.
Maybe the next burst of action will be a kind of final spurt.
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

February 18th

In the morning the field belonged to the little ones... wren, black siskin, great tit.
Then the woodpecker knocked on the nest tree again. 8-)

Only in the early afternoon a clear call... and repeated. H21 may be pushing for H44.
She brings a twig, leaves the nest and calls again for a few moments.

H44 doesn't seem to respond. Not obvious to us. And H21 doesn't sound amused either.

17:07 Then finally the tinny call that is actually unmistakable - H44 is at home. :nod:

The daylight fades with the evening call of the blackbird.
Angry crows can be heard.
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

February 18th

Hello, Polly and everyone. :wave:

Thank you for your brands, videos and photos.

They continue with their heat phase and we can notice that in those first moments of initiation they were more intense but...that's how they are. There may be a month or so left until the eggs are laid and they will alternate intense activity with a more relaxed one. It does seem that they are carrying more sticks than other years.

It also stands out that in their fourth calendar year, after three molts of plumage, both have changed the pattern of their tail.

I have other sounds noted for today:

14:05:04, '14:27, '20:21, '48:15.

See you tomorrow. :offtobed:
Polly

Post by Polly »

February 19th

The stream has ended.
Dārgie foruma dalībnieki!
Paldies, ka kopīgi vērojāt notikumus šajā ligzdā kopš 2020. gada!
Diemžēl mums ir pienācis laiks atvadīties no H & H pāra, jo pārcelsim tiešraides kameru pie citas vistu vanaga ligzdas.
Galvenais iemesls ir tas, ka ligzdas tuvumā ir plānots būvēt jaunu māju, kā rezultātā tiks nocirsti arī daudzi ligzdas tuvumā esošie koki.
Šobrīd Dabas aizsardzības pārvalde gatavo nosacījumus šo darbu veikšanai. Esam rosinājuši saglabāt gan ligzdas koku, gan pēc iespējas lielāku koku grupu ap ligzdu, kā arī neveikt ciršanu ligzdošanas sezonas laikā.
Līdz ar to ceram, ka H & H pāris varēs šeit sekmīgi ligzdot arī turpmāk.
Jau tuvākajā laikā informēsim jūs par jauno tiešraidi. Sistēmas pārcelšana prasīs dažas dienas laika, līdz ar to ceram uz jūsu pacietību.

Ar cieņu –
Latvijas Dabas fonds
source: https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... 37#p382537

GT
Dear forum members!
Thank you for watching the events of this nest together since 2020!
Unfortunately, it's time for us to say goodbye to the H & H couple as we move the live cam to another hen hawk's nest.
The main reason is that a new house is planned to be built near the nest, which will also cut down many of the trees near the nest.
Currently, the Nature Protection Administration is preparing the conditions for the performance of these works. We have encouraged to preserve both the nest tree and the largest possible group of trees around the nest, as well as not to cut down during the nesting season.
Therefore, we hope that the H & H couple will be able to successfully nest here in the future.
We will inform you about the new live broadcast in the near future. The system migration will take a few days, so we hope for your patience.

Respectfully -
Latvian Nature Foundation

Emiliano :wave:
Indian proverb
tringa

Post by tringa »

Dear Friends!
Thank you for watching the events of this nest together since 2020!
Unfortunately, it's time for us to say goodbye to the H & H couple as we move the webcam to another goshawk’s nest.
The main reason is that a new house is planned to be built near the nest, and some surrounding trees will be cut down as well.
Currently, the Nature Protection Board is preparing the conditions for the performance of these works. We have encouraged to preserve both the nest tree and the largest possible group of trees around the nest, as well as to carry out these activities after the nesting season.
Therefore, we hope that the H & H couple will be able to successfully nest here in the future.
We will inform you about the new live broadcast in the near future. The system migration will take a few days, so we hope for your patience.

Sincerely –
Latvian Fund for Nature
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

Hello Polly and everyone. :hi:

News expected for some time and no less sad for that reason.

Thank you very much for everything, mainly to POLLY for her generosity , patience and friendship.
Al Dabas (LOB) because without him we would not have been able to see these couples, all the people who have helped with their notifications (forums, chat, youtuber, ...).

And also the great protagonists, the goshawks. The H's (H21 and H44) have been special, they have taught us a lot, we saw their establishment and their offspring. It stands out to me how well they get along with each other almost against everything you can read about the ferocity of the Azores. I carry them inside me forever.

I hope they do well and that they can finish breeding this season. It wouldn't be bad if we could be informed of its evolution by some means.

Greetings and thanks. :wave:
Polly

Post by Polly »

Thank you very much for everything, ...
Al Dabas (LOB) because without him we would not have been able to see these couples, all the people who have helped with their notifications (forums, chat, youtuber, ...).
Absolutely, above all!

... mainly to POLLY for her generosity , patience and friendship.
Well, patience is not my strength and therefore your calmness and know-how were essential. It was an intense, great and educational time with very different emotions.
Thank you too Emiliano and maybe you will sleep more in the future?! Image

I hope that the efforts of the Nature Conservation Association can be successfully implemented.
H21 & H44 are strong, skilled animals. The two will continue to do 'their thing' in some form.
All the best to Team H!

I suspect that this couple will be fondly remembered by many of us.

:wave:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Before Bea puts the lock on the door...
(Thank you too for your trust Bea!) :innocent:
It was an intense, great and educational time
Something just occurred to me.
Through observing life here in the H's territory, I also began to study bird sounds.

Through an intervention in the chat by @Inguna (many thanks!), I accidentally came across another possible embarrassment in my documentation:
Did you know that treecreepers and wrens sing pretty much the same?
The song (not the call) sounds very similar If you're not practiced.! The wren warbles a little more quickly but... how often have I confused these little birds? :slap:
Treecreeper
https://www.deutsche-vogelstimmen.de/waldbaumlaufer/

Wren
https://www.deutsche-vogelstimmen.de/zaunkoenig/

So please excuse any faux-passes on my part. :laugh:
We saw both representatives here.
In general, it seems that the Goshawk leaves its neighbors alone. He doesn't hunt them. The breeding area does not appear to be a hunting area.
Woodpecker and Jay also feel at home here.

But now ... I'm gone.
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

Hello, Polly and everyone.
all the people who have helped with their notifications (forums
When I put ...Forums..., I was referring to everyone who is part of them. Specifically, in Loodokus there are also Administrators and Moderators. Jo, Ane and Bea gave me a hand when I needed them. Thanks to all of them.

Going through these forums has brought me closer to the world of Northern Europe, of which I had more references through sport. I always admired athletes from Poland, Finland, Sweden, Germany and the Nordic Handball teams, rivals in many cases of Spain's. . Now I have had more contact through birds with Latvia, Estonia, Sweden, Finland. It is another step and I have been amazed at the level of knowledge they have. The Internet brings people quite close.

I have also learned about some bird sounds like Polly.

Regarding the feeding of the goshawks, I think that the circumstances of urbanity in both Riga and Tartu determine the food and the hunting sites. In the goshawks that I see and follow in my land, they hunt where they can, near their forests, and they get closer to the crops and towns for birds and pigeons.

Greetings to all. :wave:
Polly

Post by Polly »

February 29th

H92, a male descendant of H21 & H44, was spotted again today by Edgar Trops.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful news!
Especially now, when we are losing sight of Team H, this news about the well-being of their offspring is extremely good. :nod:

Source:
https://dabasdati.lv/lv/observation/87d ... 9dd48b222/

:innocent:
viewtopic.php?p=841028#p841028
Indian proverb
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

1st. March

Polly, Emi and all :hi:

there is a second nest online. Have fun :mrgreen: :whistling:

Nesting of goshawks in the territory of the Children's Clinical University Hospital in Rīga (Latvia) has been known since 2015. Currently, there are two nests close to each other, both of which are in good condition. Historically there was a third one as well, but it has already fallen down. Nests are built in old pine trees.

In previous years, the pair of goshawks has alternated nesting in one of those three nests. It is interesting that until now nesting has been successful every single year.

In Latvia, the goshawk is considered as an endangered bird species. Although it is not yet included in the list of specially protected species (this is to be changed soon), it is included in the list of species whose nesting sites require the establishing of micro-reserves.

Thanks to Children's Clinical University Hospital (https://www.bkus.lv) for cooperation!
Thanks to "Riekstu kalns" (https://riekstukalns.lv/) and Rewind for the support!
Discussion forums in English: https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/
Discussion Forum in Latvian: https://forums.dabasdati.lv/
The camera system was installed by Jānis Rudzītis, Ģirts Strazdiņš and Arnis Zacmanis.

Nest 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Culkof-YIcw

8:25 arrival

8:26 off
8:38 back and is calling and off
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Nest 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuiVUhxPojo

Nesting of goshawks in the territory of the Children's Clinical University Hospital in Rīga (Latvia) has been known since 2015. Currently, there are two nests close to each other, both of which are in good condition. Historically there was a third one as well, but it has already fallen down. Nests are built in old pine trees.

In previous years, the pair of goshawks has alternated nesting in one of those three nests. It is interesting that until now nesting has been successful every single year.

In Latvia, the goshawk is considered as an endangered bird species. Although it is not yet included in the list of specially protected species (this is to be changed soon), it is included in the list of species whose nesting sites require the establishing of micro-reserves.

Thanks to Children's Clinical University Hospital (https://www.bkus.lv) for cooperation!
Thanks to "Riekstu kalns" (https://riekstukalns.lv/) and Rewind for the support!
Discussion forums in English: https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/
Discussion Forum in Latvian: https://forums.dabasdati.lv/
The camera system was installed by Jānis Rudzītis, Ģirts Strazdiņš and Arnis Zacmanis.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Hello Liz & everyone!

Liz :2thumbsup: , thanks for your update and initial explanations for the nests.
Of course, many thanks to LDF, who, together with the local clinic, created the opportunity for us to be able to observe the events in the lives of a Goshawk's couple live this year.
I was not expecting that.
However, it is not surprising if we consider which breeding conditions are important. Old trees for nests are being reduced more and more and a lot of trees will probably die off.

Let's go. :dunno: :innocent:
Indian proverb

Return to “Goshawks”