Goshawk nest in Riga 2023

Goshawk nests in Latvia
Emi7

Re: Goshawk nest in Riga 2023

Post by Emi7 »

April 14th

Hello Polly and everyone. :wave:

This morning I haven't heard anything and I spent a long time listening.

See you tomorrow.
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

April 15th

Hi Polly and everyone. :wave:

Another morning without any sound from the H's, it seems that they have disappeared from the area.
Has anyone listened to them throughout the day?
All this compatible with being in another place.
Let's remember that Boka disappeared from his previous place and was found here four years later.
I listened from dawn to 11:15

Greetings and good night.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Good morning Emiliano,

we tracked the camera too. Until just before dawn - nothing. Not a crumb, not a faint sign. Only once towards evening a wave of crows.

I'll keep at it.
I still have visitors for a few days, but the stream will be followed as best as possible.

I wish you and everyone a wonderful weekend!
:2thumbsup:
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

April 16th

Hello Polly , family and all. :wave:

They have finally given some signals in the morning.

7:15:50 Forcibly seemed H21
7:22:02 Far away and very faint.

Today I have been lucky enough to listen to a live copulation, more or less at a distance of 500 meters or more from the nest that I found 20 years after I was in that area for the first time. We are used to hearing it in the vicinity of the nest but it will happen when the hormones rule and they may be removed from the nest.

Greetings and see you tomorrow. :offtobed:
Polly

Post by Polly »

¡Buenas noches Emiliano! :2thumbsup:
Good evening @all! :hi:

In some places things are going differently than usual. Or contrary to our habits or ideas. Some birds return later, others like Osprey Teo seem to switch nest sites as well. ?
Of course I'm still a bit paralyzed because I didn't expect it to develop like this. Or have to understand that since the riots around the nest tree it was actually foreseeable, but the miracle never materialized.
Goshawks, even city goshwak, have a very sensitive tolerance limit.
Not that they arrange themselves and are used to noise...
Still, nest life goes on here, if you want to put it that way. Even if it turns out differently than we thought.
This terrain has become the match point of the crows.
The nest in its tranquility to the popular flea market ....
Jay, woodpecker, blackbird ... rarely if ever seen again in the nest but all can be heard further.
Ants populate the tree...

Only our H's seem to turn away.
I can't tell if they're still roaming the grounds. Do they still call the nest their own or do they not care outside of the breeding season? In fact, they defend it more in the winter than they have in a while. Which is to believe that the couple has completely lost interest in the nest.

Are they still 'complete'? I ask myself this question too.

Everything was going very strange.
If the camera is allowed to keep its location, there will certainly be attractive moments. Either the H's surprise or we witness a union of another pair.
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

April 17th

Today the appearance of the crows again. They often come in groups and often disagree.

Industrious sparrows who turn over every blade and feather and carry them out of the nest.

The Woodpecker...bustling drumming and finally 15:48 the excited melodious calls of a Goshawk in the distance. I'm not sure if it was an H.

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

21:31 Crow's mouth began.
I don't know to what extent the transmission 'falsifies' the daylight. But who bothers crows almost in the dark?
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

Hello Polly and everyone. :wave:

It seems that this year everything has been disrupted from those episodes that were not simply passing by even for many days, they were riots in the very heart without moving from there, riots... Later they had time to redo themselves and they have not.
I doubt that another couple will take the territory because surely they are there controlling the intentions but they do not have that connection to the nest (although any day they appear again, they are like that).

This situation is new, an already stable couple that does not breed for supposedly unknown reasons. With Margo the years that did not raise the causes were other.
After breeding they also disappear coinciding with the removal of the chickens in which they are surely no longer fed to resume the area from September.

A full year is a long time and anything could happen, although their rapport and fidelity to the territory plays in their favor.
From the camera we dominate very little of what their territory and adventures are, although in urban goshawks it is very different.
We know that Ruudi is urban but his breeding quarters are in the outskirts and he hunts in the same city , his locations are in most cases two hunting areas and very occasionally he moved away at distances of 10 km ( he did not like the hard concert that there was and he took off). Tartu is urban and there were four couples counting the not very distant surroundings but in Riga the number of couples is high, 40-50 in a very large city, the relationship dynamics between them must be very different and the tolerance between them must also be elderly.

April calendar
Greetings to all. :offtobed:
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

April 18th

Good afternoon everyone, Polly and family. :hi:

I haven't heard anything all morning, the only hearing appearance was at 16:23:41. They are still in the area although they give few signs.
In the rest of the afternoon-night I didn't hear anything either.

Greetings
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

April 20th

Hello Polly and everyone. :hi:

In yesterday's camera chat the news came out that our H's are in another nest.
We presumed that this could be the case or that this year they would not breed but it did not correspond to what we were still hearing ( copulations ).
It is clear to me what produced this situation.
I do not know since when it is known or if there are intentions to change the camera to the new nest. Lately we have made an effort to track them but with little result, it would not be bad if they had published it before.

Greetings.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Hello Emiliano! :2thumbsup:

I don't have much time, so just a very short one for today.

Emi7 wrote: April 18th, 2023, 8:14 pm
April 18th

I haven't heard anything all morning, the only hearing appearance was at 16:23:41. They are still in the area although they give few signs.
Those calls sounded like H44 to me.

Before that, a branch fell from above. There was no wind. I don't know who made the branch fall.
Unfortunately, in my hurry, I messed up the recording. You can't really see the fall. I noticed too late. But I recorded the call.

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

In my opinion there is too much to argue against the pair breeding elsewhere.
The chat is not a reliable source!!!
Unless ornithologists or LDF staff report facts. Moderators are often only observers (more or less) and give opinions.

Yesterday, April 20th, H21 had a battle... with crows or whoever.
09:35, '37, '38, '40 the angry shouts of H21 could be heard. :nod:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Today, April 21st

09:41 H21 angry again

10:25 A nearby crack and a call from H21

10:34 H21 calls again

We see her in the background both times. On the second call also a crow.

If the pair were breeding nearby, we would hear them more often. We know that they sign each other when they leave and when they arrive at the nest.
If they were breeding far away, we wouldn't hear them at all.
I think the H's will not breed this season. That's my assumption.

Just keep watching and listening. The territory offers many beautiful moments and voices. :innocent:
And the chiffchaff is finally back!!! :loveshower:

Many thanks for everything and best regards. :2thumbsup:
I have to end again...
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

Hello Polly. :wave:

This nest is part of its territory, if it were breeding at 600 m, the calls when entering and leaving would not be heard, but the calls that could be made between the two nests would be heard. The female that leaves the nest when the male arrives may well be closer to the old nest and hear her in some of her voices.

I have to review the last copulas you have documented to see the dates.

The last moments in which clear copulations were recorded are from April 1 and 2 and somewhat less clear until April 4. From there there is silence.
Copulations can last until some day after the last egg is laid, so we are on dates similar to those of last year.

At some point they will have to give some official clarification of what is happening in their forum or in the introduction of 2023. If there was an intention to change the camera and they were somewhat delayed, they would wait until the commissioning had been completed.

Greetings and glad to see you again. :2thumbsup:
Polly

Post by Polly »

I have to review...
Oh yes, I will do that too in the coming days. As I remember noticing H21 was permanently present here.
Very relaxed to follow the last time again in peace.
Maybe sort out hasty thoughts. And I have so many thoughts... :D

It also crossed my mind that neither H21 nor H44 ever dug in the nest bowl. I had raised it once and they never did.
This season has been riddled with unrest.
H21 as well as H44 always behaved 'chased' in the nest...in <-> out. If every branch brought was a glimmer of hope, it still seemed without continuation.

H21 looked into the camera unusually often. This can be followed through the photo documentation. To what extent setting the new perspective required rotating the camera... H21 noticed.

Then the evening after the appearance of the pretty S03. H21 returned to the nest and got scared - of whatever.

Well, our H's didn't have it easy here.
I wish they had found another safe place.
We only have the hope of seeing one of her juveniles here by chance. If they actually continued the normal course of breeding in the stress.

I will continue to document calls and sightings. And enjoy the chiffchaff. :2thumbsup:

:wave:

I push a call to:
15:34 H44 or an excitedly screeching H21
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

April 22nd

Hello together! :hi:

Apart from the occasional inspections by the crows through the branches of the nest tree, H21 was again in close range today.

12:07 crows betray them.
She flutters to a higher position.

12:22 - 37 H21 can be heard with very varied calls and also seen flying.
Abstract:
12:23:45 very interesting sound
12:31:40 A crow flies a mock attack
'36:10 again

Not in the video the calls in '35/36 which are further away. In '37 she returns.

I don't think their presence had anything to do with crows. She was here on another "mission"...the entourage just can't be shaken off. :laugh:

Have a nice day everyone!
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

April 22th

Hello Polly and everyone. :2thumbsup:

It seems that this noon there was activity near the H21 nest for about 15 minutes.

From 13:05 to 19:45 I haven't heard anything.

In Scotland it seems that the first egg was laid yesterday (April 21th) in the morning according to behavior since the egg was not directly seen. The female stood for more than an hour and then lay down in the nest.

Source : Scyllabub at RSPB

Good night and rest. :offtobed:
Polly

Post by Polly »

April 23rd

Team H was unnoticed today. :dunno:
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

I've only heard something very early in the morning and I thought I heard something at 5:49

See you tomorrow , Polly :wave:
Polly

Post by Polly »

April 24th

Hello Emiliano, together! :hi:

The Jay has been very excited all morning. :puzzled:

His songs and shouts almost fall over one another. He sings again very multi-faceted.
Indian proverb

Return to “Goshawks”