Saaristomeri Archipelago Osprey cam - 2010

NancyM
Site Admin

Re: Saaristomeri Archipelago Osprey cam - 2010

Post by NancyM »

Beautiful record of the ospreys, today, ame.

What is the other smaller bird in that last picture? A hooded crow? :shock:

(I think I shoulD use a sticky D key when I talk to you ...)
ame

Post by ame »

bociany wrote:Beautiful record of the ospreys, today, ame.

What is the other smaller bird in that last picture? A hooded crow? :shock:

(I think I shoulD use a sticky D key when I talk to you ...)
be my guest! let's make it fashionable. :laugh:

-yes, it's a hooDeD crow. it may even be the same inDiviDual as my avatar. :mrgreen:
ame

Post by ame »

it's been awfully quiet at the nest this afternoon. :unsure:
i wonDer where the birDs are. i haven't seen one in hours. in the morning there were, but i haD no time to take pictures. now that i coulD, there is no-one capture.

there are a few pictures though. this first one i took at 14.06 (2.06 pm) anD this time still there were two birDs. anD the sea is "perfectly calm" = "ihan pläkä" as we in SW FinlanD say (ä is pronounceD as a in 'baD' for example). :laugh:
i think that this "pläkä" has something to Do "pläkki" which means 'tin (plate)'. so "pläkä" woulD be like a mirror, like a smooth tin plate.
the next one is taken at 14.40 anD the picture is all grey! :shock:
it was like this for some time.... it almost looks as if there were a cloth over the lens..?
... anD then we got the view back. this was taken at 15.06 (3.06 pm). there's boat Down there on the rigth which looks almost as if it were parkeD next to the shore. :puzzled:

maybe there came people to Do some maintenance work. the camera has been stopping still anD maybe they thought that this is the last minute to try anD fix it. :puzzled:
ame

Post by ame »

finally at least one osprey returneD to the nest. i took a look at the local Saaristomeri forum anD they suspecteD also that there was some maintenance work being Done in the afternoon. the picture or actually the transmission quality hasn't improveD Drastically though, i'm afraiD... :unsure:
i'll post pictures later.... ... here are some. the first was taken at 19.56 (7.56 pm):
at 21.39 (9.39 pm) with the evening ferry to SweDen in the backgrounD. :laugh:
anD finally the last at 21.59
ame

Post by ame »

April 21st: hello! :wave:
here are some pictures i've taken toDay. first the early birD at 6.48:
at 7.31 they both were here.
they mateD but i coulDn't capture a better picture (unskilleD technique so far! :slap: )
ame

Post by ame »

then the other haD breakfast: the birD on the left has a fish in its claws. neither of this pair has rings. that tough: how to recognize them!?? they look so similar.... :puzzled:
then some home Decoration. :rolleyes:
here they just are pretty. :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

they mateD again... i've noticeD that they have a habit of Doing it in 'burst: several mating within an hour or so, anD then a break of several hours before the next burst. (actually one shoulD be watching their behaviour for at least two whole Days to Draw conclusions like this... which i haven't :unsure: )

they have such shining white trousers on. :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

yet another mating at 10.22.

ame

Post by ame »

it has become clouDy in the afternoon...

here the osprey is having an afternoon nap stanDing on one foot anD closing its eyes. :innocent:
ame

Post by ame »

but rather soon after that a mating. HMH! they seem to have a slightly Different colouring on their heaDs. i'm afraiD that's not Distinct marker enough for recognizing them...

the process takes about 10 seconDs! :whistling:
Ploughboy

Post by Ploughboy »

Fish for breakfast, fish for lunch... yum! Image

lbnorthrup

Post by lbnorthrup »

Ame: I haven't been on in awhile - great shots of these osprey. What a site they have for viewing their world. Appreciate the summaries along with photos. I sure hope that the other site where Koo was last year will also be a wonderful viewing experience. I'm a little leary of viewing that site because of the memories but am very hopeful that all will go well this year and that there will be lots of little osprey to watch grow up. Thanks again! :wave:
Ploughboy

Post by Ploughboy »

© TURKUAMK
asteria

Post by asteria »

Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
ame

Post by ame »

hello again! :hi:
i've been hanging around the WTE nest but today i went to see the Nauvo nest.
there were some idiots who came by boat to look at the nest and scared the incubating bird away. :rant: (yes there are two eggs! :nod: )
the boat came there at 17.23 and stayed there for about 5 minutes, but the birds still haven't returned and it 17.54. :faint:
ame

Post by ame »

it's 18.26 and the nest is still empty! arrghh!
one parent visited the nest briefly at 18.07 but it did not stay... omg, i'm so worried... when will the crows realize that there is no-one at home.

a wagtail visited the nest immediately after the osprey had left.

now there's an osprey on the nest! phiuff... :faint:
???? there was one... or was there...? now it's gone again... :shock:
ame

Post by ame »

now i think the osprey is finally returning to the nest so that it will stay... it popped on the nest for short visits and it still looks a bit restless...
how thoughtless can people be, oh dear!... :unsure:

now it left again... this bird had a ring on the left ankle.
shshen

Post by shshen »

It has been several days since I last visited this site. right now there is no osprey on the nest--only one egg.
I checked in within the last 5 minutes and no one is at home. Has it been abandoned?
ame

Post by ame »

yes, shshen: the nesting has been destroyed. :cry: :cry:
i haven't been able to follow the events here even though the nest is practically in my backyard. i haven't had time lately, i have been engaged otherwise and elsewhere this week (my mother died on Monday...)

after my previous comments up there i went to see Ploughboy's Osprey-forum (which is in Finnish mostly) and read there that the people on the boat which i saw scaring the ospreys away from the nest were not nearly the only problems the osprey couple had here. they had been disturbed by at least one strange osprey who even came into the nest. the whole last two weeks were restless at the nest.
maybe Ploughboy could tell us more? :hi: or i could try find out more facts later...

and finally i read in today's local newspaper that the female had left the nest for good, it hasn't been seen since Friday. i had a very short glimpse at the nest yesterday: the nest was empty but there were two eggs still. the newspaper article told that a crow had stolen the other egg yesterday.

at the moment there is a lonely osprey sitting on the edge of the nest and there no eggs.... :cry: :cry:
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: I saw two Ospreys sitting on the nest in the morning 10:05!

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)

Return to “Osprey”