Daily Summary of LSE Webcams

jopie

Re: Daily Summary of LSE Webcams.

Post by jopie »

Estonian LSE nest (BS)

June 10

The day started with the beeping of the chick in the egg, but it did not seem to go any further. No cracks to be seen.

Remo brought 5 little mammals of different sizes and species.

Tuuli stayed at the nest most of the time, stretching her wings now and then, but only left for very short periodes.

And then at 6.54 pm, almost suddenly the 1st chick hatched. Tuuli has tried to feed it but must get used to the little one. It did not went right untill now, but the chick has just hatched, and it needs time.

2nd egg also has a very large crack in it. Hatching will be very soon.

The weather was nice, not much sunshine, but no rain either. Tuuli has immediately developped a very nice way of sitting on the egg/chicks (it may have hatched already)

alice44

Post by alice44 »

June 10
Latvian Nest
Kitty KCMO wrote: 4:40-- Mētra leaves the nest; 4:44 she comes back, rolls the eggs, & sits down. McNasty is yelling. :rolleyes:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
7:57 Metra is in the nest

Metra was in and out of the nest a few times. It is impossible to tell if anything had happened to the eggs.
Bleggi wrote:10:55-10:57 new straw
19:15 Metra out and the eggs look unchanged
Lussi05 wrote:21:52
Metra was streching her legs. No visible change with the eggs. We are still waiting.... :unsure:
22:08 Metra is sleeping.

End Summary 10 June
jopie

Post by jopie »

Estonian LSE nest (BS)

June 11

The first day in the life of an LSE chick.....is not easy.

Dad did all he could by bringing in a lot of little mammals of various sizes and species:

But my mother...that is a different story. She knows I can not see proper yet, being only 1 day old. And I have so much trouble keeping my head up and my back straight. Look at what distance she stood, trying to get the food in my little beak

And then sometimes she just stands there, looking at me, as if she doesn't know what to do with me. That is a little bit scary. All I ask is a little bit of vole or some little chunks of mouse.

Later in the day after several attempts feeding me, she suddenly knew the way to do it. Yummy, those voles!

Now I'm not afraid any more, she protects and feeds me and all will be alright!
alice44

Post by alice44 »

June 11
Latvian Nest

9:19 Metra (?) stretched
Lussi05 wrote:10:01
Macho:

10:18 Macho left
10:19 Eggs alone and they are still both eggs
10:20 Metra returned
11:35 Metra is preening --
Felis silvestris wrote:Image
Felis silvestris wrote:Image

19:35 Metra rolling the eggs
Lussi05 wrote:21:38 - 21:40Metra at home, nothing to report I'm afraid . I do think that I see hole in the eggs sometimes, but it's only shadowChecking eggs

Resolute Metra
End of Summary 11 June
jopie

Post by jopie »

Estonian LSE nest (BS)

June 12

No camera, so no images, so no summary of today
alice44

Post by alice44 »

June 12
Latvian Nest

Early in the morning a large creature was crashing through the forest below the nest
10:51 Macho was here and I think there was a food delivery.

12:00 Metra left the nest
12:28 Metra returned
Lussi05 wrote:12:31
Something was disturbing Metra, she was very upset
Urgis visited the nest and replaced one of Metra's eggs with a viable egg from German nursery

When Urgis left Macho returned to the nest
Lussi05 wrote:We have seen more of Macho in the nest these days, it is a joy.
Macho at 18:06
Is it little white feathers who is lying around in the nest? Just like it did in Tuulis nest before hatching.
Latvian f
http://www.dabasdati.lv/forums/viewtopi ... start=1550
Felis silvestris wrote:I think the little hole is now clear to see :D

Felis silvestris wrote:Now first a twig with leaves was thrown in, the bird came later. I think it is still Mačo

The chick hatched while Macho was in the nest
Lussi05 wrote:Macho looking at his chick, who should have thought that :loveshower:

Congratulations with the little chick Latvia :wave:
It seems that Metra did not come back to the nest after the new egg was introduced as far as anyone saw.

End Summary 12 June
jopie

Post by jopie »

Estonian LSE nest (BS)

June 13

No camera, no images, therefore no summary of today.

In the beginning of the evening the camera was repaired and showed us a very much grown eaglet:

The other egg is still intact.

alice44

Post by alice44 »

June 13
Latvian Nest

4:54 I opened the cam -- there was a little fluff ball but no adult.
6:48 I still had not seen an adult

7:58 Macho visited the nest for about 20 minutes. He brought a large dark mammal and sat partially on the failed egg and the chick. Then he left.
Kitty KCMO wrote:When Macho came to the nest this morning, I took some pictures thinking I would see him help the little one, & he did try but needed extra help that did not come. So here are our last glimpses of the tiny chick. Poor Macho, he really was trying to figure out what to do, but his main job is to go get the food, not also keep baby warm all the time & feed baby as well.

Grieta wrote:Metra did not return, therefore it was decided to remove the chick from the nest.

And the chick was rescued
With some more heat and food the chick is doing well. It will be taken to Germany.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

And Now we have a chance to watch Grieta and Gints

Address
mms://video1.lanet.lv/ligzda

Bleggi wrote:Feeding time
Lussi05 wrote:13:15
Waking up
ImageI have to..
..go to..
michaela wrote:Sleep well!

End of Summary 13 June
jopie

Post by jopie »

Estonian LSE nest (BS)

June 14

If everything is allright this is day 44 of the 2nd egg, no signs of hatching have been seen.
The weather was, apart from some rain in the morning, nice throughout the day.
Remo dis his very best and brought several little mammals and a very large frog.

The feeding of the little one is progressing very fast. It eats already many pieces after each other in one feeding.

And cheeps very loud when it is hungry.
Sometimes it sits there in the big nestbowl and is really very funny to look at.

Late afternoon, Tuuli even shared a frog with the eaglet.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

June 14
Latvian Nest

:cry:
Grieta wrote:Dear Friends, our forumist Kaaposc translated for you all Dr.U. Bergmanis comment:

Good morning, watchers!
Unfortunately Grieta's and Gints' baby has died overnight. This morning I started to watch on-line at 05:30, the nest was already empty. I went to the forest immediately to look for baby, maybe he had fallen out of the nest. I found nothing under the nest, surroundings is clear. With high confidence I can say it was eaten by some predator - either marten or some large owl (Ural owl? Eagle-owls do not live there). Visibility let me follow events till 22:39 - Grieta was warming the baby, but looked around very worried, usually she sleeps with her head under her wing. She wasn't looking down, she was looking about the level of the nest, to different sides. It tells the predator was in the trees. In the morning Grieta was seen at 3:49, after a while she stood up, but baby was no more. It means drama happened overnight. Very sad, but it is out of our power to influence the processes programmed by the nature. I can only comfort you that Grieta, Gints and all the other animals know that not all of their offspring survive. Mētra was unlucky with eggs, Grieta's baby passed away in the first days of it's life. Maybe this time some other baby got food and now takes a nap with his tummy full. Even big baby can simply fall out of the nest or to die while migrating to wintering sites. It's important that nesting places are intact, next spring birds will choose them again, there will be rutting and mating, the eggs will be laid and, if lucky, a new baby will be brought up. I know we all are very sad, but cheer up, let's watch Estonian eagles and wait for new spring!

With regards -
Uģis
---
So after high hopes for viewing this second nest we just have to send the parents best wishes for a healthy summer and winter and a better time next year.
jopie

Post by jopie »

Estonian LSE nest (BS)

June 15

The little one is baptized Tormi yesterday evening, and is doing fine. The 2nd egg does not seem to hatch anymore. Today has been day 45 of its incubation periode and it seems too late to hatch.

Remo is providing very good and brought several little mammals, small and big ones and of various species.

Tormi is growing fast and is the subject of many smiles with the viewers

The weather was fine. In the morning some rainy spells, but not for too long and Tuuli flew away from time to time, bringing back coniferous twigs which with she raises the rim of the nest, to protect Tormi in the coming periode, when it starts walking about.
She feeds several times a day, as soon as Tormi starts cheeping, she very soon starts feeding.
Tuuli still keeps turning the egg and rooting up the bottom beneath it. We'll see how long this will take for her to continue.
jopie

Post by jopie »

I just read about the sad event in the Latvian LSE nest, where the eaglet disappeared during the night. How very, very sad this is!
jopie

Post by jopie »

Estonian LSE nest (BS)

June 16

It was a day with very heavy rains. During the drier periodes Remo brought very large prey's, looking like watervoles.

He brought several of these and also some smaller prey's,

Tormi is growing by the day, eating well and several times a day

Receiving such large chunks of vole, Tormi really has to work hard swallowing it.

Tuuli brougt a fresh branch of Aspen in a dry moment, but she is so very wet!!

The 2nd egg is still looking the same and is probably not fertilized.
jopie

Post by jopie »

Estonian LSE nest (BS)

June 17

Dry weather today and even sunny spells now and then.
Remo did an amazing job: delivered so much little mammals that we lost count. All very large voles, the occasional large frog and a mole.

When Tormi eats, her little crop is swollen like a balloon by the time she has had enough.

At a certain moment we were a little afraid that Tormi was going too close to the rim of the nest. Tuuli did not act upon it, but Tormi crawled back to Tuuli's warm breast in the nestbowl in time.

Tormi grows like cabbage (English: like scarlet beans :laugh: ) and gets several meals a day. Even a frog is shared by Tuuli. During one of these feedings a little piece of meat stuck in Tormi's feathers.

Via Pontu we see the most beautiful pictures on our Forum. This one is by Bubo

Right now Tuuli is asleep, Tormi sleeps under her. It just has started to rain, birds are not as loud as usual at this time of the evening.
jopie

Post by jopie »

Estonian LSE nest (BS)

June 18

Remo delivered several kinds of prey: different kind of little mammals, like voles, 2 moles and some frogs.

Tormi got several meals today and is really growing fast, trying the use of her wings already for keeping her balance.

Sometimes she crawls too close to the edge of the nest and that is rather scary, but Tuuli herself talks her to the edge while feeding.

Only early in the morning there was little rain, the rest of the day was sunny, although with a strong wind. Many birds are singing right now. There are still some prey's lying around for feeding in the night or early morning. Tormi is sleeping beneath Tuuli's wings.
jopie

Post by jopie »

Estonian LSE nest (BS)

June 19

What a horrible day it was, as far as the weather was concerned. Rain, rain and more rain!

Remo did not have many opportunities to bring in food. He managed to bring 1 small little mammal, vole I believe.
Later in the day during some dry moments he brought in some kind of bird. It was the first time anybody see him bring in a bird.

Tuuli must have been very glad with it: she did not stop chirping.

Tormi is great, growing each day. She is developping larger wings, with darker feathers underneath it. One can see the form and I don't know how to call that.

2 pictures: 1 before and 1 after eating and also visable the beginning of the definite form of his wings.

Right now the rain has stopped. Tuuli has fed Tormi a mole, probably the last food there was at the nest. But it is difficult to see what is there on the edge of the nest.
jopie

Post by jopie »

Estonian LSE nest (BS)

June 20

It was dry most of the day, only a little shower in the afternoon. The wind was strong the whole day.

Remo brought several little mammals during the morning, in the midday he stayed away.
Tuuli heard Remo in the air, and called

Few seconds later Remo came to the nest with the strangest prey ever!

Nobody knew what it was and suggestions as: octopus, offal and very large frog were mentioned, but nobody really knows.

Tormi was offered 2 very small bites, by a very hesitant Tuuli, who ate it all and liked it very much. It was gone in a few minutes. Tormi is growing so fast, it is amazing. He gets several feedings a day and the chunks he gets are considerably bigger than during the first days.

During the day, when not being fed, Tormi is lying under or half under Tuuli, who preens him a lot and also "cuddles" him often.

They are both sleeping right now.
jopie

Post by jopie »

Estonian LSE nest (BS)

June 21

First day of the summer, but a huge rainshower was there at the end of the morning. It did not last very long.
Remo arrived several times in midday, with 2 large moles, 2 large voles and some slender long, light grey little mammal.

Tormi is developping rapidly, "walks" to the feeding places, chosen by Tuuli. But when scratching himself while standing on 1 leg, it does not go too well.

He still uses the other egg as a pillow or as something to lean against.

And then after feeding, satisfied, lying on the other egg, it is nice to sleep after a small talk with Mommy.

The wind was rather stormy today, and still is. The nest sways softly, birds are singing and all is well.
jopie

Post by jopie »

Estonian LSE nest (BS)

June 22

A normal, quiet day at the nest. The weather was good and Remo brought some little mammals in the morning. He has visited the nest in the afternoon only once with a very small mammal which seemed to be a fieldmouse.

Tormi totters towards Tuuli for food:

And does stretch her wings, not for keeping balance but just for the fun of it. Mommy is busy preening herself and does not notice:

Even the coloration of our little eaglet is clearly visable:

The camera is freezing at the moment, hopefully it does not give in, but everything is going allright. Food is plenty, Tuuli is very caring and Tormi grows and grows.

Return to “Lesser Spotted Eagle Webcam Forum”