What We Should Do About Copyright

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

Jo UK
Site Admin

What We Should Do About Copyright

Post by Jo UK »

Recently, there have been a few occasions when we have had to consider copyright matters. In one case another website made illegal use of LK webcams and English articles. Webmaster dealt with that. Now we must consider our own position when we post things on this forum which originate on other websites.

As internet copyright crime continues to grow and, therefore, legal action about copyright grows too, we believe we should all take one small measure to protect Looduskalender and forum members.

Each time any of us posts a picture or article from any other website (other than Looduskalender, forum or webcams) we must all include a link to the page where we found the image or text.

It is one small chore but it could save us from a lot of grief.
Agatheb2k

Post by Agatheb2k »

:unsure: Understood, but must we also do this with the videos found on YouTube ? :puzzled:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I don't have all the answers, but if I put a video on Youtube and made it a public access file, then I would not be able to complain if someone else used it, elsewhere. (I think) Similarly with Photobucket and other image hosting sites - we have the choice to make them private or public. If something is public, then surely it is "Fair use" if posted for information only. If we posted it to make a profit, then I think that is illegal
As I said, I don't have all the answers, but someone here raised the topic about how we could protect ourselves from accusations and this is what we thought of.

Short of hiring a lawyer to look at everything from other sites that we post here, - and that is not going to happen - this is one small step we can take, all of us.
Agatheb2k

Post by Agatheb2k »

:D
Thank you very much for that clarification, Jo UK
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Hi Jo,

The only thing with making the photos or videos private is that unless we have the user IDs of everyone on here and everyone on Photobucket, flickr and all the other websites these formats would be uploaded to, the people can't see them and that includes the members, here. I don't know how we can get around that. The only thing I can think of is putting extra disclaimers on everything that it is NOT to be shared, at all and if someone does, it is at their own risk.

I have my photos on flickr set so that they cannot be downloaded but the clever ones know how to get them, anyway. :rolleyes:
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
maertha

Post by maertha »

If I remember right, you have to decide during the YouTube upload whether your video can be embedded somewhere or not.
If you allow it, it can be put here in the forum and in almost any other place. This means not, for example, that parts of the footage can be used by others.

Copyright:
You can choose during the upload or later between “Standard YouTube Licence” or “Creative Commons – Attribution” (see: Advanced Settings).
If you choose the latter, everybody is free to use your material for anything he or she likes, given that your name/YouTube name as originator is mentioned.

If you choose “Standard YouTube Licence”, which is the default setting, nobody is allowed to use your video or parts of it for own purposes – it´s protected by the copyright rules.

I would like to suggest additionally not to put complete texts from other internet sources into the forum, except you have a written permission from the author or the publisher.
The same goes for scanned images or single pages of books which appear sometimes here with good intentions.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thank you, Maertha. Your knowledge of copyright is extensive, as you had to be aware of that while compiling the database.
Your post is helpful.
Liis

Post by Liis »

Always to include a clear reference to the source is a matter of courtesy and of acknowledging the work and effort of others - as I am sure we would like ours to be acknowledged. Even if it might make a contribution, post etc. look duller.

Moreover source references help to sort out the masses of quotes, copies, citations, semi-remakes that are flooding the Internet, and to judge the content value and novelty of a message.
laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

hi can anyone answer this question? i teach a couple of classes and have used a few of the pictures i have got - of the seals, eagles, deer, boar etc. - in my powerpoints. i took the pictures myself and never sent them to the forum (as i couldn't get it right when i tried 'fast capture' and since have been to busy/brain dead to work it out). i have been assuming this is okay.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Yes, it is OK!
Also you could use the stream during school lectures, in the suitable time as you decide. In some schools the stream is available during breaks of lectures.
laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

Thank you for that Urmas :wave: :wave:

It's really nice to show these pictures - over the weeks my students have become interested in what's happening. On Tuesday everyone was asking about Linda and Sulev and their eggs! :laugh: :D
ychri

Post by ychri »

hello, i have a similar question:

am I allowed to post screenshots that i have taken from the looduskalender-livestream into a german forum concerning wild bird observations? from time to time, i report there some news from several estonian nests and sometimes i attached some screenshots. now i wonder if that was okay.

greetinx, yvonne
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Yvonne, greetings.
Yes, please post the screen shots and write an acknowledgment of the source-
http://www.looduskalender.ee/de/

If you want to give a link to the webcamera then mention LK also.
I should add that there is no need to include the link with each and every picture. I think that just one link per page is adequate.
Thank you for asking!
ychri

Post by ychri »

thank you for the answer. i already linked the the overview about the different wild animal's webcams, because i wanted others to discover this fascinating insights. maybe it would be a good idea to create a suitable signature for to do some promotion ;-)
i must admit that until now i didn't get the difference resp. the relationship between looduskalender and eenet (responsible/bearer/agency, sorry i don't know the right word).

greetinx, ¥
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

EEnet is the Estonian server which donates space to Looduskalender. It carries all our webcams, this forum and the various Looduskalender pages in different languages.

About a logo or signature - that is something for webmaster to decide. I will tell him of your suggestion. :D
Or maybe you are thinking of your own signature on the other forum? Sorry if I misunderstood.
ychri

Post by ychri »

Jo UK wrote:About a logo or signature - that is something for webmaster to decide. I will tell him of your suggestion. :D
i meant my forum's account of http://www.birdnet-cms.de/cms/front_content.php, for which i wanted to create a signature that contents the link to the looduskalender-website.

greetinx, ¥
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Great idea. :2thumbsup:
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

sorry wrong
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
Luz4711

Post by Luz4711 »

http://www.wbs-law.de/eng/the-legality- ... ers-38865/
Embed videos however, illegally provided by the respective user on the platform, you can be under circumstances also guilty. Such liability comes into consideration, because it provides even further proliferation of illegal online provided videos by you opened a new access channel on his side. If this is indeed in such cases, is so far not legally been resolved.
Bing Translation of this
Bettet man dagegen Videos ein, die vom jeweiligen Nutzer rechtswidrig auf die Plattform gestellt wurden, kann man unter Umständen als Mitstörer haften. Eine solche Haftung kommt in Betracht, weil man selbst für eine weitere Verbreitung des illegal online gestellten Videos sorgt, indem man über seine Seite einen neuen Zugangskanal eröffnet. Ob das in solchen Fällen tatsächlich so ist, ist bislang nicht gerichtlich geklärt worden.
Donation for KOTKAKLUBI
IBAN EE18 2200 2210 4035 9778 - BIC HABAEE2X - Swedbank AS
Wire Transfer via SEPA in EURO Countries

search.php?keywords=villa&terms=all&aut ... mit=Search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBTIDeR ... vpJrE-ImTh
Luz4711

Post by Luz4711 »

Donation for KOTKAKLUBI
IBAN EE18 2200 2210 4035 9778 - BIC HABAEE2X - Swedbank AS
Wire Transfer via SEPA in EURO Countries

search.php?keywords=villa&terms=all&aut ... mit=Search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBTIDeR ... vpJrE-ImTh