How To Do Find a Topic Page

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

Jo UK
Site Admin

How To Do Find a Topic Page

Post by Jo UK »

Here I will try to describe some of the forum functions which we don't notice or don't talk about too much. That is usually because there are more important things to do, such as reading a forum, or writing a post.

First - How to look back through a topic to previous pages.
At the top and bottom right of each forum page you will see this
There, you see that you can choose the previous page or up to 3 pages back.
A little known function is the Go to page Click on that and a small window will pop up. You can enter a page number and then click OK. It will take you to that page.
Page 1 is often useful for webcam and nest information.

Suppose you want to find a post by a specific member. At the top of each page there is a block of links. Choose Members

then click on Find a member
This is where your spelling must be precise. See what happens when I mis-spelled Mutikluti
There is no such member!
Once you have found the member, then you can search that member's posts to find just the post you want.
One more hint - at the left of the Find a Member page you will see Username Begins with, then a drop down box, then Display.
It doesn't work so ignore it! It used to work but we lost it in one of the updates.

Maybe you want to make a link to a particular post.
Click on the Post Icon It is a small thing looking like a piece of paper with one corner folded down.
It is found to the left of the word Posted
Image.
Using that will change the URL. Copy and paste the new URL into your post. It is not always an exact location but it will take you close to the post to which you want to link.
ame

Post by ame »

HOW TO SAVE PERSONAL MESSAGES WHEN THE INBOX NEEDS CLEANING

sooner or later your Inbox will become full and it needs to be cleaned, i.e. some messages have to be deleted before you can receive new messages. the Inbox can hold 50 messages. after that limit is reached you will get a notification that you have a pm waiting for you but it cannot be loaded in your Inbox before you delete some of the old messages there.

quite often you still wish keep the messages. then you'll have to save them in your computer. how to save messages then? below the list of pm's on the left in the Inbox there are 3 options how to export messages from the Inbox. unfortunately none of them is very practical.

one choice of saving the text of a pm is then to open the message and copy the text and then pasting and saving the text as e.g. a Word-document. this is rather time consuming if you have a lot pm's to save and/or the pm's form longer chains of messages and replies.

if this is the case a more practical way is the following. open the latest (newest) message in the chain. below the newest message you'll see the Message history.
mark the text which you want to copy by sweeping over with the mouse holding the left button down so that the background of the marked text becomes blue. then press ctrl-C to copy the marked text.
i made a typo in my example message.
:slap: :rotf:

then open Word (or Notebook) and paste your selected text by pressing ctlr-V. then save your document giving it some name which will help you to keep track of the messages (i use the name of the sender and the date). the document you will get this way will not look very sophisticated but it will keep your messages. you can tidy the document later when (and if!) you have time.
ame

Post by ame »

for the very beginners i made two pictures to show
how a message can be posted on the board.

first you go to the topic where you want to post. on top of the page (picture 1) and in the bottom (picture 2) on the left side there's a button "post reply" (shown with red arrow). i have also marked some other things in the pictures for further use.
click on the post-button with the left mouse-button.
picture 1.

picture 2.

the "post reply" window opens. here below is a picture of it. write your text in the window.
picture 3.

you can modify font by first selecting text and then clicking on B for bold-face, i for italic, u for underlining. you can change font size from tiny to small to large and even HUGE
(on the right-top; by changing the number you get even more sizes), or colour (on the right side; outside the picture area above). the other way is to first click on for example B and the typing between the brackets. you can always have a look what your text will look like by pressing the Preview-button which is below the white text-box. when you are done click Submit. preview and Submit can be found in the bottom of the window. you can also change your mind about posting and click Cancel.
picture 4.

below in picture 5 is shown how the above post will appear in the forum.
picture 5.

you will see how things work when you try and play around with things.
even after posting you can still edit your post if you see that there is still something that you wish to change. Edit- and Quote-buttons are on the lower-right corner of the post. i see that you have already found the function of the Quote-button. :D

two more important buttons are Img and youtube . these may seem rather distant in the beginning but sooner or later members will want to post pictures and videos, too. :D . with these buttons pictures and videos can be added in a post. you'll find help for these things in the Technical questions-thread which is near the top of the board index page.

i hope this will help new members to begin posting. and don't worry about language. for most of us English is a foreign language and still we get along. :gathering:
ame

Post by ame »

How to quote someone's post and comment/answer to it

below is a picture showing a post which you wish to quote and comment. click on the "quote"-button in the lower right corner of the post (see picture 2 above, it's marked with purple ellipse and arrow).
"Post a reply"-window opens (see the picture below).
there you will see the source code of the original message with quotes. it starts with the name of the author of the original post. in the end there is the end-mark of the quote. between these marks is the rest of the code which in this example Liz01 wrote.

if there are pictures, videos or such things in the original post, they should be deleted from between the quotes. in this example there is the image code of the picture.

however, the picture may be left in the quoted message if the original message with the picture is somewhere much earlier on another page or if the picture is otherwise necessary for understanding your comment.

also if the quoted message is long and contains some text which is not relevant with respect to your message you may delete parts of the original text and replace it with dots ....

all unnecessary repetition should be avoided so that the pages would remain readable.

when you have written your comments below the quoted message click "Preview" to check what your message will look like. example of the above message would appear is shown below. i have removed the ] and [ from around the image code so the picture itself will not be shown in Liz01's post.

if some more editing is needed return to the editing window (scroll down), or if you change your mind about posting click "Cancel". when you are happy with your message click "Submit".
Bea

Post by Bea »

How to quote / get the link of one specific post

In every post you can find this symbol in the upper right corner (looking like a sheet of paper - in the red circle).

-----

When you click on this symbol, you will get the address of exactly this one post in your browser-address-line:

Copy and paste in your posting.

Example: this leads you to introduction post of Madis & Piret Documentation topic:

viewtopic.php?p=303570#p303570

We use this helpful function when we want to refer to a post containing a long text or pictures/videos, so that we don´t have to quote this all in our posts and avoid "blowing up" the topics.
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)

Return to “Questions and Help”