General questions about the forum

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

Polly

Re: General questions about the forum

Post by Polly »

:hi:

How can I link a page from a specific post?
Someone asked this before but I can't find it. :puzzled:
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Biker

Post by Biker »

hello Polly!

right-click on the symbol on the left side of the author's name, choose "copy the link" and paste it with 'url symbol' into your post.
:wave:
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Polly

Post by Polly »

@Biker, thank you so much!!!! :2thumbsup:
I finally tried it today - worked.
Indian proverb
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Concerns the Latvian cameras!
Why does the goshawk get a new thread, while lesser spotted eagle, osprey and black stork don't?
the cameras have been combined in one thread since 2018!
This is too much of a mess. You have to search to find posts from previous years to compare. There is also no summary from the last few years. as such, there is no longer any documentation here. The original idea of Looduskalender is not reflected in this threads.

this thread is only for two member

https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 11#p841011
Bea wrote: March 9th, 2022, 2:48 pm

Hi Polly and Emi,

maybe you want to reserve a post here on the first page, in case you would like to document more or different events than I will do in "Main events" post.
You can find it easily back here on the first page and you can edit it the whole season long, as we have no limit about editing here.

I think the only limit is, that you can´t add more than 20 links in one post :puzzled: I hope I am right about this :rolleyes:

Rita

Post by Rita »

Quote from Liz:
... there is no longer any documentation here. The original idea of Looduskalender is not reflected in this threads.

I can only second what Liz writes. The same I think as well. What I'd like to read is documentation - not daily lengthy musings and subjective statements by one member.

I do not follow this thread for that reason.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Hello Liz and Rita, I would like to express myself of course. Because you specifically criticize me.

I don't brood (only). I follow what is happening and present it with a time stamp and image.
Everyone is invited to participate in this topic. I've asked and invited to it many times over the last few months!!!! It's not my fault that nobody is enthusiastic about these animals.
Check out older threads related to Goshawk - the previous members are tired of the forums. And even before my time, hardly any of the people who were still active here took part.

Where is your problem????

Liz, you also fill topics almost entirely on your own. Because there are hardly any active members here.
If so, then they gather again and again in the same topics.
And you too are brooding and pondering.
Check out the Latvian Osprey Nest. Everyone is there cheering at the beginning - and then the nest is dropped. Nobody bothers to write. Everyone just reads.

As does Rita. Even you Rita just reads most of the time.
You use the work of others and still criticize?

It's OK.
If the form of my reporting is so terrible, I will limit myself to following the cameras and only reading in the forum.

My goodness ... I could have saved myself these many hours of work. I had no idea other people thought that way about it.

Disgruntled greetings
Indian proverb
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Polly wrote: April 11th, 2022, 10:02 am Hello Liz ....
Where is your problem????

Polly :hi:
You are terribly mistaken me! It doesn't concern you. :bow: It's about new threads for Lesser Spotted Eagles and Black Stork. I am addressing this to the administrators

EDIT:
now I have more time Polly. I really appreciate your work! I was really shocked when I saw that you feel addressed. I don't know how you got the idea that I mean you!
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

I don't know if I haven't understood because of translation problems.

It seems that we have taken over the thread and that you do not like me to make personal reflections.

I already regret that there are not other people who intervene because there would be more variety and freshness. I don't know what the original idea of ​​the forum is but of course I have also seen almost scientific follow-ups in other threads.

I contribute my point of view as a follower of this species relating it to what I see.
You have no interest in the Goshawks?
In previous years there were more people participating and I don't think my way of acting is what causes the flight in participation. Rather I saw Polly spending a lot of hours without anyone to follow her or give her a little air and encouragement and that's why I entered because she deserved it.

No one has called my attention to my way of participating among the administrators.

Do we withdraw and you take over?

Regarding what Liz raises, it is another thing that the administrators of the forum would have to answer.

A greeting to all of us who need this to continue and not go down, the least we need is tripping and bad vibes between us.
ame

Post by ame »

Liz01 wrote: April 8th, 2022, 8:33 am Concerns the Latvian cameras!
Why does the goshawk get a new thread, while lesser spotted eagle, osprey and black stork don't?
the cameras have been combined in one thread since 2018!
This is too much of a mess. You have to search to find posts from previous years to compare. There is also no summary from the last few years. as such, there is no longer any documentation here. The original idea of Looduskalender is not reflected in this threads.
?? what is this? i don't quite understand now...? :puzzled:
LSE, osprey and BS have their separate topics...
or do you mean that there are not new topics for them for each year? that is true... :slap:
maybe i should have done something about this. maybe i could try to split a topic to a new "branch". i don't think i have ever done it so i don't know if i can do it without making mistakes... :shock:
Liz01 wrote: April 8th, 2022, 8:33 am ...

https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 11#p841011
this can be said also about the Latvian WTE thread! :blush:

... as to what Rita wrote above i have not yet had time to see what these "musings" etc. may be... no-one is compelling anyone to read anything here if one does not want to for any reason.

anyway i saw that you Polly have done a lot of documentation there. thank you!
i'll read more later...
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

ame wrote: April 12th, 2022, 2:41 pm ...
I am unhappy that I wrote. It's not about members or other threads. The point is that neither the lesser spotted eagle nor the black stork
get new thread for the year. I guess I expressed myself wrong.

Now I don't care what a mess the threads are. The lesser spotted eagle thread now has 2 full seasons, a 3rd season will be added in 2022!
how am i supposed to find something? The first page is no help, there is nothing to find about the the last seasons.

BTW: I have already written to Polly privately because it is easier to explain in German.

And, I will stop documenting in this thread.
ame

Post by ame »

Liz, what thread are thinking of quitting? please don't!

i started a new topic for BS for this year. i think i managed to do it without accidents (except a headache).
i'll try to split the Ospreys next.
i found an easier way to split it. the new osprey topic is here:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 61#p841361

i have also split a new LSE-topic for Anna and Andris. what should be done with the other LSEs? and how about the others?

Liz? :hi:
Polly

Post by Polly »

BTW: I have already written to Polly privately because it is easier to explain in German.
And one more comment pending because I think that this passage is unambiguous and not due to incorrect expression:
..this thread is only for two member..
It doesn't matter how many members use the space provided here.
It is important that there are at least members (even if it is only one) who participate in the life of the animals and take the time to share it. So the allegation was simply false.

It's not about us and how many of us document a nest - it's about the animals. And we should be thankful to have this place and share our observations.
The season in most nests is already underway and we prefer to give them all our attention and time. :thumbs:
Do we withdraw ...
No.

Let's go. :2thumbsup:
Indian proverb
Bea

Post by Bea »

Hello everyone! :hi:

Ouh dear, how much dissatisfaction and tohuwabohu - and this in spring, when we all just should be happy to see birds returning to their breeding habits safe and sound :rolleyes:

Latvian Osprey topic
My decision to let a topic run over more seasons than one has simply practical reasons. For me it is also no debasement to let a topic run over more than one season.
When you look at the first page of the Latvian Osprey topic one can see the main events for every year at a glance, and I link every event to the specific post. I found this pretty practical, instead of having to open the previous-years-topic in a new window. Sometimes I try out new things to find out whether they are of good use in future or not. I still think that it is not bad for topics that have not so manymany pages in one season.
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/viewtopic.php?t=965

As I still had a reserved post on the first page that I can use for season 2022, I decided to continue this topic and use this post for main events for another year. I moved the split topic back to the old one and will open a new one for 2023.
As I will have no more reserved posts for main events on the first page :wink:

-----

Next charge - Goshawk topic

I had contact with Polly in winter about another subject concerning the Goshawk topic and confirmed to open a new topic for 2022 already then. I already had in mind at that time, to offer her and Emi to reserve a post on the first page to have the possibility to document and link more things/events/behaviours than I will do in the main events 2022 (laying eggs, hatching and fledging dates). As they were the two main actors there, I see no problems to address this to these two special persons. And the first page (maybe also second) of a topic is the best place to find such things back than rather let it sink somewhere in the multiple pages of a topic.

There is NO limitation for others, that only these two should take part in this topic, all topics in LK are open for everyone who wants to participate.

By the way: Offering to reserve a post on the first page I want to try out also in others topics I am taking care of, to find out whether these additional informations from observers can be a benefit for the first page and documentation and for finding things back.

-----

Next point - LSE topics

Unfortunately Felis silvestris could not provide the service of the main events on the first page last year, and also this season we have to do without her.
But for my opinion Felis silvestris made excellent introduction posts and as the locations didn´t move and all is still covering the facts, I thought it could be a way to simply prolong the topics for another year and only update the headline and set the new link to the cam on the first page.
Maybe we could have found other and better solutions than that what is happening now.

-----

Please also take in account, that not everybody of the board team here has the possibility to spend 24/7 in the forum and sometimes things take longer than it is for some people´s liking. I personally have often to wait until the weekend until I can spend more time here.

I hope that no one who has joy in documenting events will stop to do so. Everyone has an own way to write, sometimes with more, sometimes with lesser words, every contribution is appreciated!

Hopefully everything is understandable and if not, let me please know.

And now - back to the birds! :shake:

Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

I don't know why those who participate are blamed when I haven't seen anything in Rita (I'm not here to track her participation).

I know that my orientation is more informative and complementary, but if it is not what is expected from the spirit and soul of the forum, let the moderators or administrators review my participation and tell me.

If I followed a species that I do not know and I was really interested in, I would appreciate all the information that is given of the type that I do if I want to learn about it. I can limit myself to seeing the camera and nothing else, but as long as it doesn't go against the rules, I don't have to please anyone who wants something else.

As long as Polly continues, I will continue in addition to the excellent work that Hellem is also doing.

Greetings :wave:
Bea

Post by Bea »

Hi Emi,

all is okay with your way of posting and documenting, as well as with Polly´s.

I hope you both will continue your observations and share them here in the forum.

ame

Post by ame »

oh dear, it seems that i made a mess after all... :faint:
i'm sorry Bea for making extra work for you. :blush:
i didn't know about your strategy with the topics. i hope it didn't take too much time and effort to fix the mess that i made.

it's always been a small mystery to me why some people seem to think that it is a bad thing that some certain people are active in certain topics. this activity does not take away anything from others, does it? :puzzled:

everyone can write much as they like and post as many pictures as they like. or, on the other hand, they can not do these things it if they choose so. this is not a duty. it's a privilege. further on, it is not anyone's duty to read everything. one may choose. and it's certainly not necessary to make declarations about what one chooses to read or not.
Bea

Post by Bea »

The topic is back to the state that it had before and all is okay.

Peace on Earth :wink:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

ame, Bea, thank you for your effort! :2thumbsup:

For me, the confusion was a bit too big this year because all the important pictures in the DD forum have disappeared. I've focused on that over the past few years. The Russian picture uploader stopped the work a few weeks ago! :slap:
It was and is difficult to search through threads that span several years.

Now it's all good! thanks again!
Polly

Post by Polly »

Good evening to the currently busy administration, moderators and everyone! :innocent:

Is there a way to break down/show the interesting diversity of LDF eagle nests into themes?

I don't think the lack of documentation is due to disinterest or ignorance.
And the sightings on - 'Where to put it?' :puzzled:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/live/CRrp4PKdoMc?feature=share[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/live/XwKuhB-5NBo?feature=share[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/live/Kt-05OMAdsk?feature=share[/youtube]

Have a topic..
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/live/r_Pb5LHc9Zo?feature=share[/youtube]
Indian proverb

Return to “Questions and Help”