Osprey Nests in Finland

Chimega

Re: Osprey Nests in Finland

Post by Chimega »

sova wrote: September 20th, 2021, 3:24 pm oh my god .... so sad. I could explode
OMG, can someone translate what that says? What did they do??? Shoot him??? :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil:
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

sova

Post by sova »

Chimega wrote: September 20th, 2021, 6:36 pm OMG, can someone translate what that says? What did they do??? Shoot him??? :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil:
Chimega
Killed ... I got that understood ... and that's enough
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

sova wrote: September 20th, 2021, 6:54 pm Chimega
Killed ... I got that understood ... and that's enough

it's NOT enough! This poor excuse for a human needs to be caught and arrested! :twisted:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

bulilia wrote: September 20th, 2021, 3:36 pm Truly sad, such a wonderful bird... in case someone would need a more detailed report, found it on a FB page: https://www.facebook.com/buchvv/posts/4366731510060094
Chimega wrote: September 20th, 2021, 6:36 pm OMG, can someone translate what that says? What did they do??? Shoot him??? :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil:
Google Translation of the Facebook post 19th Sep 2021 at 13:26 https://www.facebook.com/buchvv/posts/4366731510060094:
Rare birds are being killed in hunting grounds again.
Osprey (ChKU) was hit by poachers on September 5, 2021 at fish ponds in the vicinity of the village of Myzhrichchya, Dolyna district, Ivano-Frankivsk region Metal ring - Museum of Zoology Helsenki (Finland) M-74967. Colored yellow - TAN.

Unfortunately, the bird did not survive.
P.S. This is a young bird that has lived very little - was ringed near the village of Jouts (Finland) as a bird on June 22 this year
SilverGirl

Post by SilverGirl »

Hello bulilia :wave:

One more tragedy :cry:
Each one more is heartbreaking for lovers of these wonderful, such beautiful birds.

bulilia :),
please, be so nice, kind and place here the oryginal text or translation, or tell us here with your own words, what happened.
I don't have fb's account, so I'm not able to see this info, fb demands a registration at once.
So, I only can figure, understand that this young Finnish osprey was either deadly wounded or just killed during its first migration ?
It is so much cruel, if caused by a human, and especially if by hands of a licenced hunter who should know what he/she is doing.
Was it a hunter ?
Who discovered, found this poor bird then and in what circumstances ? What happened then, later to the bird ?
As an older Polish generation I know Russian language of course, but Ukrainian not. I rather can only read it like fifty-fifty understanding.
The twitter's message is rather poor.

I appreciate very much your involvement :thumbs:
I guess, I deeply feel that you registered here just now, just to share this tragic news. And I share your pain.
Unfortunately, in my country still are people shooting to ospreys, mainly owners of fish ponds. The effect is that last years we have only ~30 breeding osprey's pairs :slap:

bulilia :),
anyway, I'm sending you nice hello and the most friendly welcome in our world :shake: among birds' lovers and especially - wonderful ospreys' and stay by us.

P.S. It would be nice, if you fill up in your profile the place where you are :)
SilverGirl

Post by SilverGirl »

Owlie :wave:

Many thanks for the translation. I noticed it after I eneded my comment.
Sad, sad, sad ... what more is to say :vangry: :cry:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

There are quite a few photos of the poor Osprey, standing on a board. It's wings are spread in an odd way, making it look like they may be broken. There is blood, everywhere and it's pretty clear that it had been shot in the chest if not multiple places but the biggest amount of blood seems to be coming from the chest area. There is a man standing next to it, holding out it's wings in a few photos. He will not show his face. There are large dogs, also, standing by and looking around.

The Osprey is very much alive in the photos they published. It looks both scared and bewildered like it has no idea what will happen to it next plus it is afraid. No doubt it is in a lot of pain and in shock. It was a very beautiful Osprey. This is the text, then the translation by google, under it.

Володимир Бучко
SeptedmubcSer 19st aStol 5a:2r6e fAdsM ·
Знову у мисливських угіддях вбивають рідкісних птахів.
Скопа (ЧКУ) підбита браконьєрами 5.09.2021 р. на риборозплідних ставках в околицях с. Мижріччя, Долинський р-н, Івано-Франківська обл. Кільце металічне - Музею зоології Хельсенкі (Фінляндія) М-74967. Кольорове жовте - TAN.
На жаль птах не вижив.
P.S. Це молодий птах, який прожив дуже мало - був закільцьований поблизу селища Джоутса (Фінляндія) ще пташеням 22 червня цього року 🙁

Once again, rare birds are being killed in hunting ugiddes.
Skopa (CHku) summed up poachers 5.09.2021 on fishfront ponds in the vicinity of c. Myzhrí ch chya chya chya, dolynsʹkij district, Ivano-Frankivsk region. Metal Ring - Helsenki Zoology Museum (Finland) M-74967. Color yellow - TAN.
Unfortunately, the bird did not survive.
P.S. This is a young bird who lived very little - was zakílʹcív near the village of jouts (Finland) still birds on June 22 this year 🙁
· ·
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

I messaged Sääksisäätiö - Finnish Osprey Foundation on Facebook after trying to find anywhere else to report this crime.

I got a response from someone, a few hours after they saw the post. The post I sent them was to the Facebook page with the text from above plus the photos.

The response from the above page is this.

"Thank you for your message. Very sad news but we are thankful of this information which we will pass also to Helsinki Zoological Museum."

Zoological Museum??? What is the zoo museum going to do? I feel like reporting this to Dr Madis Leivits. He would know what to do and who to contact. I would also send the info to Urmas Sellis but I don't know if he is active, there, anymore... Does anyone know?
sova

Post by sova »

Dear Chimega
I admire you but what can you do? .... or also Mr. Urmas?
If these people got a fine, it would be great. Do you think they would pay for it?
Ukraine itself is a * restless * country. There is still conflict (I don't want to write, war).
There is a lack of means, possibilities .....

:hi: Owlie, SilverGirl
Bea

Post by Bea »

Chimega wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 6:55 am "Thank you for your message. Very sad news but we are thankful of this information which we will pass also to Helsinki Zoological Museum."

Zoological Museum??? What is the zoo museum going to do?
Hi Chimega,

as far as I know, the Zoological Museum is also the responsible ringing center and maintaines the database for ringed birds in Finland.

Maybe Owlie can confirm or correct this ....
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Bea wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 1:45 pm Hi Chimega,

as far as I know, the Zoological Museum is also the responsible ringing center and maintaines the database for ringed birds in Finland.

Maybe Owlie can confirm or correct this ....
Yes, Bea, that is exactly the case, they coordinate the ringings in Finland. And the Finnish Osprey Foundation had already got the sad information on 20th Sep, I got it confirmed on FB yesterday.

Btw. Zoological Museum doesn't mean zoo, it is a scientific institute and museum.

EDIT: the name is nowadays: Finnish Museum of Natural History
https://www.luomus.fi/en/bird-ringing

https://www.birdlife.fi/in-english/
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

Thank you for clarification, Owlie :thumbs:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Ferenz

Post by Ferenz »

Seili osprey web cam 2022 is online

https://saaristomeri.utu.fi/osprey/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ANc7hDRlM

waxing moon

In awaiting of the New Season...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifHznXxyYD0
Ferenz

Post by Ferenz »

Seili: An unbanded? osprey has returned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZYemYyQJSI