swallows it in whole :thumbs:
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Pennies

Post by Pennies »

A Podcast
What will happen without Harriet? SWFL Eagle Cam gives nest update
Tara Calligan
12 hours ago
Southwest Florida Eagle Cam has been livestreaming an intimate view of a North Fort Myers eagle’s nest since 2012. But with female eagle Harriet missing since February 2 after her two chicks hatched, the future of the eagle family is uncertain. Southwest Florida Eagle Cam co-founder Ginny Pritchett McSpadden joins us with an update on the the nest.
https://news.wgcu.org/show/gulf-coast-l ... x-hS9c_qzI
Pennies

Post by Pennies »

From FB
Southwest Florida Eagle Cam
3 h ·
In tonight’s update of “As the Eagle World Turns’… M and the new visitor attempted a bond this evening. This is not a mating but possible sign of acceptance or dominance. Only time will tell for our Eagle family!

Watch Live at www.SWFLEagleCam.com
© Southwest Florida Eagle Cam
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

February 23

SWFL Eagles ~ Dramatic fight & chase over fish - Female intruder wins and feeds E's!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnDKFdv ... CamNetwork
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

24. February

No food for the chicks since yesterday morning. They got only few bites from R23-3. M15 was at the nest tree during yesterday afternoon, he wasn't went for hunting.
Early in the morning he left today, followed by injured female. The kids are very hungry and alone since then. :puzzled: :shock:
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

:slap: Ouh, this is hard now, for the Eaglets but also for us. Dad M15 has not been there today yet. The eaglets look OK now, but we know they have not eaten and they still have hot afternoon hours to go. :puzzled: They'd need food and fluid. I count that it's soon 1 pm o'clock. Can it happen that M15 is so confused that he even abandons his nest...
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Birdfriend wrote: February 24th, 2023, 6:13 pm ...They got only few bites from R23-3. M15 was at the nest tree during yesterday afternoon, he wasn't went for hunting.
Early in the morning he left today, followed by injured female. The kids are very hungry and alone since then. :puzzled: :shock:

Birdfriend
I don't know how SWFL came to the conclusion that the female fed the eaglets. I watched it live! The video can be found on my channel. The two tried to steal fish from her, it didn't work. The female pecked and was aggressive. She left a small piece of fish, I think it was the head!
M15 was totally exhausted after fighting for the fish. I wondered when he would give up. It's too much for him. It would be enough just to raise the chicks alone. but starting a new relationship is probably not on his mind at the moment i guess. Other males would leave the nest and area if they disagreed with the female. He can't because of the chicks. But maybe he does? We will see.
I haven't been monitoring continuously since yesterday. After seeing the dilemma yesterday morning, I thought it would be better to pause (for me)
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

From Lady Hawk -- Feb 23, 2023A lady carrying a white bag with food in it is seen walking towards the nest tree to leave it on ground for the eagles. Before she is able to do this, someone from the Pritchett driveway calls out to her and she stops and turns around and leaves the property. It turned out to be a door dasher who apparently had delivered fish a few times before. It is illegal to feed the bald eagles. Here are some articles that address this ongoing problem that has arisen since people have been taking matters into their own hands and conducting unauthorized and illegal feedings at the nest. Thank you for watching!

R23-3 tries to spend the night with M15. She flies in from the North and lands to the left of M15. Vocals heard, R moves closer to M15. He appears to ignore her and she finally leaves.

I hope she stays away. But she is a female...
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

Thank you Liz. - I'm just thinking. Whatever the reasons are now that the Eaglets are alone so long, is is possible later to help them by humans and to take the E's to care. I remember that once the eaglets from this nest have been taken to human care and then humans brought them back to the nest. Then everything went fine. I cannot remember the reason for that then.
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

PS. Some minutes ago M15 came into the nest with partial fish, which E21 ate.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Sylvika wrote: February 24th, 2023, 8:04 pm Thank you Liz. - I'm just thinking. Whatever the reasons are now that the Eaglets are alone so long, is is possible later to help them by humans and to take the E's to care. I remember that once the eaglets from this nest have been taken to human care and then humans brought them back to the nest. Then everything went fine. I cannot remember the reason for that then.
The reason for the rescue was a fishing line. E8's foot was swollen from the line. He was also a bit underweight because E7 was a heavy pecker. E22 reminds me on him. Both are fighter for survive.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Liz01 wrote: February 24th, 2023, 7:38 pm Birdfriend
I don't know how SWFL came to the conclusion that the female fed the eaglets. I watched it live! The video can be found on my channel. The two tried to steal fish from her, it didn't work. The female pecked and was aggressive. She left a small piece of fish, I think it was the head!
M15 was totally exhausted after fighting for the fish. I wondered when he would give up. It's too much for him. It would be enough just to raise the chicks alone. but starting a new relationship is probably not on his mind at the moment i guess. Other males would leave the nest and area if they disagreed with the female. He can't because of the chicks. But maybe he does? We will see.
I haven't been monitoring continuously since yesterday. After seeing the dilemma yesterday morning, I thought it would be better to pause (for me)
Liz, thank you! I saw it alike, from feeding was not to see. I had really fear, that he would give up finally.
I'm glad he now brought two parts from a fish, but two times E21 is the lucky one. M15 only dropped the food to the nest and left again, no feeding. Kids have to develop their self feeding skills. I guess E22 is already better in that. :thumbs:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Sylvika wrote: February 24th, 2023, 8:04 pm Thank you Liz. - I'm just thinking. Whatever the reasons are now that the Eaglets are alone so long, is is possible later to help them by humans and to take the E's to care. I remember that once the eaglets from this nest have been taken to human care and then humans brought them back to the nest. Then everything went fine. I cannot remember the reason for that then.
It was harder than now, because both E's17&18 were ill, needed treatment and it was not known if the parents accept them back. Now the eaglets are older, can eat themselves and all they need is enough food until they are able to fly. If E21 got some fish bit and E22 got a donat hole, it is not normal! They become weak and won't be able to develop in a proper way.
Biker

Post by Biker »

what a mess!
Both in the nest and under it. :slap:

15:15 M15 brought a bird for his eaglets

a water bird - webbed skin at feet could be seen

finally E21 and E22 get a proper meal.

more of this please.

@M15 - Incidentally, an eagle lady with healthy feet would be better for you.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Birdfriend, asteria, Biker, thank you very much for good news :2thumbsup:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Was is it "a tough day" eagle parents sometimes make (three years ago in Webster TX nest the parents deliberately didn't feed the eaglets for one day)?
Biker

Post by Biker »

asteria, no idea. :puzzled:
But M15 was previously with pieces of fish in the nest. only deposited and immediately flew off again, without feed them.
two times: 13:00 and 13:53 (24.2.)

Return to “Eagles”