Latvian black storks - 2018

Black Stork nests in Latvia
Solo

Re: Latvian black storks - 2018

Post by Solo »

Abigyl wrote: August 25th, 2018, 12:49 am ... What are they going to do for next season ? ...
Dr. M.S.: https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 38#p611138
:wave:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Thanks Solo :hi:

I'm glad to hear that they plan to build the nest for next season. Hope they'll have a large space to give us another good season with healthy :chick: :chick: :chick: :chick:

See you!!
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Abigyl wrote: August 25th, 2018, 12:49 am .............Liz, What are they going to do for next season ?.........
Abigyl :hi:

M.S.....Nest - this year they won't do anything since it makes no sense. It has been fallen down before this year at least twice - and has been restored in the same place. After winter nothing may remain there - if support branch remains, they might rebuild it within a few days. May not. This is actually very interesting document to see how it happens - as it has happened repeatedly in other nests too - exactly around the time of departure and in some cases has caused departure. It is obviously a good indicator of poor nest site (location in tree) wich in turn is indication of lack of good sites altogether.

https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 87#p569387

So we have to wait and see what happens here next year :laugh:

All important data are on the first page, including all interesting news from Maris S. :D

Conservation ecology of the black stork in Latvia by Maris Strazds (Dissertation 2011 ) :
https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/71748412.pdf
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: September 2nd, 2018, 12:43 pm ... All important data are on the first page, including all interesting news from Maris S. :D ...
:hi: Liz,
thank you very much for that :2thumbsup: :D
Solo

Post by Solo »

2x :blush:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Thanks Liz! Let's hope that we'll see this nice family on a renovated nest. Like they did at Karl's.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Liz,

Your BS nest is sooooo biggggg!

Comparing to Durbe's nest :cry:

I hope that our favorite nests will come back :cry:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

September 16

:hi:

11:24 A squirrel visit the nest tree and nest :loveshower:

https://youtu.be/0hm1SKOlpo8
Sue

Post by Sue »

:hi: Liz, nice shots, thanks .... I hope all our storks and storklets are doing well :bow: :2thumbsup:

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Sue wrote: September 16th, 2018, 8:41 pm Liz, nice shots, thanks .... I hope all our storks and storklets are doing well :bow: :2thumbsup:

Sue, you're welcome :laugh:
Our storks were well fed and healthy. I also hope they are doing well :bow:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

There is a very interesting article by Maris Strazds on Goris. Distinguishing marks male and female.
My observation, that only the male sings, when he comes to the nest is correct. So one can say now, the black stork, which came to Estonia first to the nest in this year, was a male. It was not Kati and certainly not Karl.

It is not correct to say that the male always jumps on the female. It can be the other way around. So it is not a distinguishing feature.
Nor can we say that the two who were at the nest in the evening are the same in the morning. Unless they have distinctive features...

Maris says it's important to document events that happen very fast, in minutes and seconds. So I do it :laugh:

http://www.goris.lv/noverojumu-veiksana/
I will translate the text later.

Next season I will focus on the behavior of the black storks.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

SEARCH FOR TRANSPORT.
Hi, dear followers! At present, intensive work is under way on the development of the Black Stork Protection Plan, but it is necessary on October 11 with Marie Strazds and the climber to go to the nests. The routes are Jurkalne-Virgale and / or Glāzbiekis-Piebalgs-Limbaži. If someone on October 11th can assist you on one of the traveling routes, please email us.
mstrazds@latnet.lv
Sincere thanks in advance ♥

https://www.facebook.com/DzivibasLidojums

I wish, I could be there :bow: :laugh:
balistar

Post by balistar »

Liz01 wrote: October 6th, 2018, 5:31 am There is a very interesting article by Maris Strazds on Goris. Distinguishing marks male and female.
My observation, that only the male sings, when he comes to the nest is correct. So one can say now, the black stork, which came to Estonia first to the nest in this year, was a male. It was not Kati and certainly not Karl.

It is not correct to say that the male always jumps on the female. It can be the other way around. So it is not a distinguishing feature.
Nor can we say that the two who were at the nest in the evening are the same in the morning. Unless they have distinctive features...

Thank you, Liz :hi: , for sharing this very interesting article. Now we can draw conclusions or we have answers to some questions that have occupied us this season.

Sue

Post by Sue »

Liz01 wrote: October 6th, 2018, 5:31 am There is a very interesting article by Maris Strazds on Goris. Distinguishing marks male and female.
Hi Liz :hi: , very interesting, thanks for sharing :bow: . Among others very usefull for the beginning of the next season :2thumbsup: .

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

The black stork migrates in much wider front than the white stork, so the train across the Alps, Italy and the Mediterranean islands (Sicily, Malta) should be stronger than its relative (Glutz von Blotzheim 2001a).
Summary
Although the data situation (76 rings / 54 finds) is relatively small in black storks, it is still possible to draw first conclusions regarding the directions of the train. Based on the current state of knowledge about the species, the separation in East and West
migration should not be as pronounced as, for example, in white storks. The "March black storks" that breed in the north-east of Austria, for the most part, appear as eastern migration (see Figure 33). The two finds from Western Europe of black storks ringed in Styria suggest a western migration of these populations, which corresponds to the literature. Furthermore, also according to the standard literature, in the map in Figure 31, if only anecdotally (1 individual), there is an indication of direct north-south-train (and therefore over the Alps) through Europe. The breeding-time finds in Figure 32 indicate an exchange between the Austrian and the Czech populations. Since both western and eastern migrations birds could be proven there, further investigations lead to promising questions regarding inheritance and learning of migrations directions. The black stork is similar to the white stork due to its size and the leg length predestined for the marking by means of rings. This is reflected in a high probability of reading (about 15%!). A continuation of the individual marking by means of readable rings is therefore to be supported in any case. On the one hand, relevant questions of population ecology such as breeding success, spread tendencies or origins can be processed. But also phenological aspects and questions concerning migration routes, which are especially important in this relatively "new" and strictly protected species (Annex I, EU Bird Protection Guidelines) can be answered.

file:///D:/Download/Diverse%20Dateien/BirdLife_Vogelzuggeschehens_in_Oesterreich_web.pdf
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: October 18th, 2018, 8:46 pm ... file:///D:/Download/Diverse%20Dateien/BirdLife_Vogelzuggeschehens_in_Oesterreich_web.pdf
https://www.birdlife.at/web/binary/save ... nt&id=2923
thanks for translating :thumbs: - interesting infos :nod: , also the all previous :D
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

November 9
Camera is not working.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

MĀRIS wrote in the DD Forum:
When we traveled the black nests to look at, I asked M. Strazds also about the future of this live stream, the nest.
There is no plan to change the live video nest yet, as it's likely that next year we will see events in this same nest. He is also not artificially restored because she is in a very difficult place where even live streaming was already a challenge....

https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... 94#p201494

Maris, thank you for the info :thumbs:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: November 22nd, 2018, 12:13 pm ...
TY for this info - it will be nice to see once more this nest with so great parents who raised these very nice 4 storks :2thumbsup: :D
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

:hi:

some nests were found :razz: :
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... 83#p205183

Today we drove to look for black stork nests. The first was a beautiful, diverse forest, with many potential nest trees for several large bird species, and most importantly, we found a total of 5 nests. One of them is an oak-black stork nest that has been inhabited for at least 7-8 years there. ..... Let's wait for spring.

Information on FB:
https://www.facebook.com/DzivibasLidoju ... Rw&fref=nf

Return to “Black Storks”