Black Stork Nest 2, Jan and Janika, 2021

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Solo

Re: Black Stork Nest 2, Jan and Janika, 2021

Post by Solo »

:shock: chick lies on its back - its unable to stand up :bow:

The stork fell on its back while preening (20:51:37) and could not get up :bow: correction (thanx Hellem) 20:52:37

I am confused, it is not the all day tired chick - it seems to me it is our little Benjamin :unsure:

it seems little one has broken wing

Summi

Post by Summi »

OMG, poor Benjamin! :cry:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Summi wrote: July 10th, 2021, 9:28 pm OMG, poor Benjamin! :cry:
I wrote email to Urmas and Tarmo Evestus.Kotkaklubi - Jõgevamaa, Triin, Juta, Ame ... I hope for help
Summi

Post by Summi »

Thank you, Solo, :wave: and warm hugs to you.
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

Solo wrote: July 10th, 2021, 8:59 pm
The stork fell on its back while preening (20:51:37) and could not get up :bow:
https://i.postimg.cc/c4JVxcGs/2021-07-1 ... -25-54.jpg
solo :hi: it happened at 20:52:37 :nod:

I'm not an expert but it seems to me as sudden paralysis of the left side and wing :puzzled:
Solo

Post by Solo »

youtube chat:

8:37 PM Maria K​ If black stork is considered endangered species in Estonia human intervention is required in this case, I think
8:38 PMŞair Sonat​ Even if it's not, you just can't watch a baby bird suffer to die with a broken wing. That's not fair at least, when you have the opportunity to heal.

9:01 PM pinki floyd​ in the place where he stood is this dumb blue cord, that CAN be a context, but also NOT :bow:

this would explain the sudden loss of balance
ame

Post by ame »

Solo, i wrote an e-mail to Urmas about this.
i'm not sure if he can (or will) do anything. there seems to be no human involvement causing the sudden collapse of the storklet. if something happens due to natural causes then humans will not interfere.
Solo

Post by Solo »

ame wrote: July 10th, 2021, 10:31 pm Solo, i wrote an e-mail to Urmas about this.
i'm not sure if he can (or will) do anything. there seems to be no human involvement causing the sudden collapse of the storklet. if something happens due to natural causes then humans will not interfere.
thank you Ame, but see here: https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 91#p803991:
"That blue stuff is a hay ball string used formerly for tie hay balls in farms. ... If it is still there, during ringing we can remove it. Or if real danger visible before."
in the place where little one stood is this dumb blue cord, that CAN be a context, but also NOT
ame

Post by ame »

yes, i read that. but if the string is the cause then Urmas will make his decision about it.

edit: i started recording the stream starting at about 19:30 before the male came in for feeding. before the feeding there were four storklets who looked quite ok.
after the feeding three storklets seemed to be ok but the fourth was lying behind then three. something happened during the feeding but i didn't see what. :puzzled:
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

I think this sudden collapse has nothing to do with the hay ball string
Solo

Post by Solo »

ame wrote: July 10th, 2021, 10:50 pm yes, i read that. but if the string is the cause then Urmas will make his decision about it.
yes, I know
thanks again Ame
Solo

Post by Solo »

Hellem wrote: July 10th, 2021, 10:51 pm I think this sudden collapse has nothing to do with the hay ball string
maybe realy not

PL youtube chat
prof. Piotr Zieliński (PL BS expert). GT translation

9:33 PM Piotr Zieliński
Watched twice. It's not a mechanical injury. The wings are fine.

9:36 PM Piotr Zieliński
Rather something more general. He might have gotten something poisoned with food from his parents.

OMG if it is true ...
ame

Post by ame »

19:42 the parent returned and all storklets responded but the fourth in the background seemed to be 'lazier' than the others. the fourth stayed lying on the nest while other were reaching up.
the fourth "lazy" storklet seemed to have a huge crop.
Solo

Post by Solo »

ame wrote: July 10th, 2021, 11:00 pm
but it is not this "lazy" storklet, it is our youngster very, very probably
Bibibu

Post by Bibibu »

Oh my God, I have time to look again today and then something so bad. Is it Benjamin, who fought his way through so bravely as the smallest?! Of course it's terrible in general, no matter which chick. It's terrible to look at, it beeps and breathes quickly, probably because it's struggling so much.

Still a hello to all, but I think I have to switch off, unfortunately I can't stand it even if it is nature.

What a sad sight. And now the others are also lying on the wing. It looks to me like it's really hurting. It is struggling so much, but when someone is lying on it, nothing works.
Lena

Post by Lena »

I do not know whether it is connected with the fall or not, 21: 02 the stork spat out a big fish.

ame

Post by ame »

to me it seemed that the storklet collapsed due to some internal reason. he was sick in some way. he looked sick already before he collapsed. the wing looked paralysed or stiffened rather than broken but it stopped the storklet from getting up.
21:02 the storklet threw up a big fish. then he kicked more on his side.
the other storklets ate the fish and threw parts of it around the nest.
here's a recording that i made (part 1, 53 min), starting at 20:45.
the rest are uploading- i'll post them in the morning.

i don't see any accident which could have broken the wing. here i totally agree with Piotr Zieliński. bones don't break just like that, it takes a serious injury to break bones or twist joints. the blue string thing was behind the other storklet who was sitting in the back of the nest. i don't think that the string had anything to do with what happened.

poor baby. :unsure:
ame

Post by ame »

Storklets part 2, i hour.

Storklets, part 3, 55 min.

i haven't edited these videos at all. i just recorded from screen in one go in about 1 hour pieces.

i got a reply from Urmas. he wrote that to him what happened seemed like a natural process and that he will not intervene. this was quite the reply that i expected to hear.

he will not be able to go there in the next days (and i think he wouldn't even if he had time).
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

July 11th

Good Morning everyone!

thanks to all for reporting.that's tragic!
ame, thank you very much for the message from Urmas!

3:38 head is up

4:44 head is up again

5:25
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

5:50 looks like there is blood?

6:00

6:19 Storklet is calling all time.. is not able to get up
I have already seen sick storklets in the nest, but never one that lies on its side and can no longer get up.

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”